Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Logline

My friend the published writer and I were talking the other day. She told me that
she was hoping to try her hand at a script for a popular TV show. After that I read some blogs on screenwriting and came across this great site two adverbs.
Apparently a logline is a sentence that encapsulates a film plot/storyline and it is used to pitch a screenplay idea. The article gives some really great examples of possible loglines for famous films.

I thought I'd kick around a few ideas for a logline for my blog. These are my attempts so far:

A middle aged cancer survivor decides to treat her illness as a wake up call and sets about completely revamping her life into what she once hoped it would be.

A middle aged cancer survivor comes to realise that the last time she was truly happy in her own skin was as an independent, idiosyncratic girl, and sets about recapturing the essence of that time.

Following a cancer diagnosis a woman comes to realise that deferred gratification is a load of bollocks and so, with resistance from those around her, she sets about changing her life.


I quite enjoyed the exercise. I'm going to apply it to the novel that I'm currently trying to crunch out.

2 Comments:

Blogger blkbutterfly said...

i like the first logline the best. you did a nice job w/ these. for the life of me, i can't encapsulate much of anything in one line.

8:39 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks. I used to write politicians' briefing for a living, so I can do a bullet point in a blink, lol!

12:07 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home