Tuesday, July 04, 2006

My training for freedom programme

I'm getting my son to do some chores around the house, he won't entertain a summer job as he wants to get his golf handicap down. His handicap's been cut to six from eight in two weeks of concentrated playing after school. He hopes to be in striking distance of four by the end of the summer. I suppose I shouldn't complain, it's a healthy sport and at least I know where he is.

But today I got him to change his bed, and he complained he couldn't "do duvet covers" so I taught him the matching corners/inside out trick. Then I got him to hoover the stairs - I think he's starting to appreciate what it takes to keep this old house clean, let alone walk the dog, shop, cook, do the garden, work for two charities and try to get my photography work off the ground. I'm shooting baby pix at the weekend, a 3 month old boy, with his parents at their flat. It should be fun -I've never photographed such a tiny one before other than family members. He's lively between 10.00am and 11.00am, so I'm going to get there for then.

I'm still working on garden shots for the photographic library,and my new monitor calibration has proved difficult to get just right with theirs. I think mine always had a red bias so I'm having to retrain my eye when I edit.
The more I learn the more it feel like I've still to learn, but I just keep telling myself that I've come along way in a short time. But some of the fun has gone out of it as I'm just really, really critical now. Ansel Adams said you were lucky to take 2 great pix a year, I'm starting to believe him!

2 Comments:

Blogger blkbutterfly said...

my brother's actually looking forward to working come next year. however, i think it's mainly because then he'll be able to indulge is shoe fetish more intensely.
anyway, i'm glad to hear that your photography is coming along well, and that you're making strides. as for it becoming less fun due to you being critical, i think that's just the cycle that artists go through, esp. once they really start to have greater expectations for themselves.

8:00 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks for the kind words. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm progressing, however slowly. Immediately post the illness I felt the need to go at everything a hundred miles an hour, as I realise I may be here a while longer I think I'm starting to relax and take a bit longer over things.

My son would be right there with your brother on shoe thing, nothing but the best in trainers for him!

9:14 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home