Monday, June 19, 2006

Teenagers

My son actually managed to speak a few whole sentences to me yesterday, nothing complimentary just a rant about "Why hadn't I reminded him that it was Father's Day?"
I reminded him that he was the one with the most brain cells in this house and that the media had been busily reminding everyone for weeks. His Dad didn't appear to mind as he'd forgotten his Dad too, so it's obviously a genetic condition on the paternal side, which is fine by me.

My Dad died last year, so short of raising a glass to him, which is what he would have most appreciated had he still been here, there wasn't much to be done.

I read a great article in one of the Scottish Sundays yesterday about Thomas Fraser, a Shetland islander who loved country music, and way back in the 1950s made reel to reel recordings of himself singing and playing guitar. His grandson found the tapes long after his death and the BBC helped to remaster them on to CD. The results have met with critical acclaim and you can listen to MP3 samples on line. I was amazed at how the tracks instantly loaded into i-tunes. Made me think how he was using the cutting edge technology of his day to get tracks down for no-one other than himself, and how at that time distance and isolation meant even more of a lack of opportunity, and that lack of access to technology today means that sections of the community are missing out on further opportunities.

The Thomas Fraser website is here.

And since were talking of recording in your bedroom I listened to Sandi Thom's "I wish I was a punk rocker" song at the weekend and I just found it sad. Kids shouldn't be getting nostalgic about their parents era, their job is to actively rebel against it. I wonder if she really wrote the song, it sounds more like the pathetic ramblings of some middle aged bloke whose dribbling into his beer in the pub.
We were neither hippies nor punk rockers, we were sandwiched in between in the "Glam Rock" era, although Rod Stewart in his "Every Picture Tells a Story" phase was really wonderful, and I did see Crosby Still, Nash and Young and The Band at Wembley in 1973, and they were still pretty hippish. But there was a lot of dross in the charts, although jobs were plentiful, we were out on strike most weeks, and we had the truly incredible summer of 1976 and then along came Thatcher and the darkness descended. No not the band.........


2 Comments:

Blogger blkbutterfly said...

i saw an ad for HBO in Time last week that said, "forget Mother's Day, you feel incredibly, unbelievably terrible." "forget Father's Day, you feel bad, sort of." i wonder why Father's don't get the same respect as mother's.
teenage boys are interesting... my brother's 15 and never ceases to amaze me with his way of thinking about things.

2:55 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

I agree with you about teenage boys, they're brains really do work in different ways. He's so gangly right now, like a baby girraffe, maybe his brain is just as clumsy!

6:15 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home