Sunday, June 18, 2006

Meme

Why blog?
It keeps me from doing all the things I could/should be doing. And just because.....

What annoys you about blogs?

Surfing blogs and coming across ones that won’t let you go to the next one without hitting the back key.

Who reads your blog?
Who knows, not many given the comments that are left, and I haven’t figured out how to add a counter thingy yet.

What do you like about blogs?
They’re quiet, people give you their views without clogging the High Street and shouting at you.

I love the range, from niche issues, like the guy I came across who just grows and photographs staghorn ferns, to all the politico shock jocks and everything in between.
Also the number of women using to just state how bloody hard it is to raise kids and hold down a job and have a sliver of life to yourself.

What have you learnt from blogs?
That we’re all more similar than different. That some people excel even at blogging. That there’s a hierachy of blogs, and on the very successful ones people don’t feel obliged to acknowledge their audience.

That people love to engage in the soap opera of other people’s lives, and that humour and the English language are both wonderful things.

That eccentricity and idiosyncrasy are fabulous traits to have.

That Postcard Secrets is a brilliant formula, I love looking at the new crop each Sunday.

What do you wish you could get from blogs?

Wish I could read foreign language ones better. Especially those one that must be in Chinese that just come up as wee boxes.

3 Comments:

Blogger blkbutterfly said...

i like this meme. perhaps i can "borrow" it? as for adding a site meter, have you tried sitemeter.com? if i remember correctly, they add the code into your template for you after giving your blog's url, or you can add it yourself. but, if you're anything like me, you'll get addicted to checking your stats! :)

10:04 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

fwThanks I'll try it, I'm not good at writing links. Feel free to borrow it, I just made it up to clarify my own thinking.

10:09 pm  
Blogger Rob said...

I guess that on blogs with very large readerships, the blog writers can't respond to everyone, but although what you say may be true of some - "on the very successful ones people don’t feel obliged to acknowledge their audience" - I don't like that as a trait.

I think the best writers are conscious of their readers. They may not always write what their readers want or expect, but they don't act as if readers don't exist. Or at least, they shouldn't.

1:27 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home