Thursday, January 15, 2009

Helping without knowing it

Do you ever suggest something to someone and then discover that they are able to take your idea and do something even better with it? It has happened to me twice this week and I've really enjoyed the experience. Both have been technical things - one was someone wanting a poem of mine in an audio version, and I offered to use my Flip camcorder to record it in video and sound, and they then discovered that they were able to strip the sound file out of the video piece with some software they had, and they were highly delighted at this discovery as it gives them another means of getting audio files for their website. The second was a piece of advice to my dentist on how to realise a photo that he's been trying to capture - needless to say this was done after my mouth was decluttered of mirrors and probes etc. I've also been asked by a Dept in the University of Edinburgh to supply them with a copy of a photograph I shot for them a while back, as they want to feature it on their new website - which was nice surprise because I took the shot about two years ago. Also been trying a few things with the camera, one was to shoot a candle "Richter style" after enjoying seeing a triptych of his candle paintings last year, the other was to produce a lith print, a pinky tone type of print, of the Victorian Bridge here in my home town. I attach them both here. The candle shot it too dark and a bit soft, but I like the flame in it, as it's very still and calming. I've just added this wee bit of video that I shot today just because I love the sounds that it captured, the sharp call of a blackbird, and then a skein of geese passing overhead - I think I like capturing sound almost as much as pictures.

5 Comments:

Blogger Colin Will said...

I've decided to Flip after seeing your results. I'll wait until after my trip to Harrogate - the trusty Nikon will have to do for that.

5:54 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm very interested in this Flip thing... especially for the sound elements... Now both these images are so different from each other, but both are have a gorgeous warmth to them... I'm wondering now how I'd get an effect like that in the dark room... oh, I miss that course we did last year! *sigh*

6:42 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Don't buy the USB cable then Colin as I have two spare ones.

I love my Flip, though still getting used to it's point of focus.

The link on lith is the chemical way of doing it. i love the delicate tones you get.

5:38 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Something special here. Thank you for the geese flying overhead - a beautiful taste of winter for my summer mildness!

9:56 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

That was good about the audio files wasn't it? I was very proud of you! I love the geese moment, partly for the joy in your voice when you said 'there they are!'

3:39 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home