Sunday, December 28, 2008

In a word

We had a lovely Christmas and I think my FIL really enjoyed himself, especially having his brothers and their partners round on Boxing Day - but it was hard work cooking two huge meals two days in a row, despite having my feet planted in my comfy crocs - a very welcome present.

So today I intend to please nobody but myself. I'm locked away in my wee pc room having a huge clear out, matching stacks of papers to various projects that I have in progress and then sifting them once again within project order.

I'm doing a poetry retreat called the Fielding Programme this spring, Polly Clark is the tutor, so I want to get scribbled ideas and part drafts into a portfolio that I can take with me to either spark ideas or polish up/redraft.

Lucy at Box Elder and I have been working on a collaboration for an online magazine, we were sharing drafts over Christmas while icing cakes and baking flapjacks. We thought we'd have to wait a while before we heard anything about it, but Lucy got an e-mail last night to say they'd be delighted to accept it , and that while they feel it's a wee bit long they think it is such a complete piece of work that they'd be loath to cut it down. We're both really pleased as we put in a heck of a lot of work on it. I'll post more on this once I know more.

On the radio today they were asking people to think of a single word to define 2008.
here are a few of my ideas:

CONSUMED

BURST

BUSHFIRE

CHANGE


or maybe just "Infamy" as in the old joke "Infamy, Infamy, everybody's got it in for me!"

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Glad you got a chance to call one day your own! I did the two-day-cookathon as well. Even got a third day out of the old bird as a pie... How lovely to hear your news about the sub, can't wait to hear where!

6:52 pm  
Blogger Totalfeckineejit said...

Glad you had a good christmas and survived the cookathon.Poetry retreat sounds soothing, and well done on the on-line mag acceptance,look forward to seeing it.As for a single word for 2008, how about- F***ed?

10:49 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Cookathon is the word for sure. As is f**cked.

1:43 pm  
Blogger Colin Will said...

Polly Clark's got a new collection coming from Bloodaxe next year. She's excellent. The idea of tidying is somewhere in the back of my mind, but with a bit of luck it'll stay there.

All the best for 2009.

Colin

1:55 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

;~)

3:39 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Colin I'm not especially tidy either, but when I do get around to itit feels very cleansing, it's that seeing the wood from the trees thing.

1:17 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home