Sunday, January 11, 2009

Germ of a Poem

So far I'm managing to avoid the flu/lurgy that everyone around me seems to be coming down with.

Although yesterday I went over to Ayr and got really soaked while out walking with an old friend I've known since I was 11 years old. We see each other rarely, but somehow never lose the shorthand that exists between us.

I wrote this recently, it is pretty much how I feel at present:

germ of a poem...

It’s backlit marran grass,
a stranded yellow snail
chocolate on the tongue
a boy’s steely TV gaze
rain on a not so hot tin
roof.

Words collect, pool,run
together in my head,
but there’s nothing left
to say that’s not been
better said.

And here's a case in point. Holly Near's "I ain't afraid"

5 Comments:

Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Amen to all of that! Happy New Year Anna.

7:09 am  
Blogger Pat said...

Well that works for me:)
Keep dry!

10:52 am  
Blogger Lucy said...

I enjoyed that vid!

Keep well.

8:35 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

She's amazing. I just learned of her through an amazing choir called the Turtle Creek Chorale, a gay choir that has weather AIDS etc, etc and they sang this song, giving it a whole new meaning as many had lost their birth families through being gay.
Holly went to 'Nam with Fonda and is doing some remarkable peace work.

I e-mailed her and she wrote back to me - a lovely woman.

I feel the weight of words just now - I looked at the BBC news site the other night and there were 14,000 comments on Gaza awaiting for moderation.

We need peace in every sense of the word.

11:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's an infectious little germ, well worth incubating.

10:30 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home