Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Well the curtains are up!



I explained what a good deal they were and he didn't bat an eyelid, so I was worried about nothing! They look good, the leaf motif brings the garden into the house some how.

Car is still MIA, must phone again and see what's happening. Nieves gave me a great surprise, a friend has got her a weekend break hereand she's taking me with her! Two night dinner, B&B. Only trouble is we have to leave on Friday, which is kind of short notice, but it should be fun. The pool looks lovely.

The new windows are going in next week. I just wonder how much mess it will make, especially around the frames, as the old tongue and groove is very dry and splits easily, but hopefully it won't be too bad. Quite glad it's finally happening as recent storms really shook the old casements, they really don't have much life left in them.

I feel good about doing this as it shows I'm engaging with the house and life again, for a long time I felt like nothing was worth doing as it would all outlast me. Pathetic I know, but that's how I felt.

Must fly and chase up news on the car. N is kindly walking Gus for me today, which gives me more time - it gets dark so early now. I really, truly hate this time of year, it's so hard to believe that the plug hasn't been pulled on the whole world, that it's almost Spring in NZ, that the sun is lapping somebody, somewhere. The garden is not dormant though, bulb leaves are already appearing, and the willow and hazel are making new catkins. I've trimmed all the old leaves off the hellebores to get good new growth in February. The pic shows last year's great display.

6 Comments:

Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

This is such a good sentence: 'it shows I'm engaging with the house and life again.'

11:07 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Aw thanks, that lovely coming from you girl!

It does feel good though. I love this old house, it belonged to only one family before us, and the last surviving old lady sold it to us cos she liked us, she could have got lots more money for it. And I promised her I take care of it and the garden. The doors all had glass finger plates on them, which she and her sister had painted flowers on when they were little.

It has a good feel to it. I like my bedroom, it has a big bay window, overlooking some really old trees. When I was sick I lay in bed on bad days and watched them change through a whole year. It's cool in summer and cosy in winter, save the odd draft, lol.

It's made of whin stone and has a Welsh slate roof.

11:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.sunfarm.com

3:23 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

Having got back from our short break feeling rejuvenated I am delighted that you are doing the same - and lovely renovations in the house to look forward to. And the Spring can't be that far away - can it?

4:36 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks Pat,

Glad you had a good time. Rushing round this am to get organised, walk dog etc.

10:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for a long time I felt like nothing was worth doing as it would all outlast me.

I see nothing pathetic at all in that feeling. So many people around the world are still wasting away because of that powerlessness. The fact that you've overcome that and are getting busy with your life shows a great deal of inner strength. More power to you!

This is a very insightful blog you have. I'll be back.

12:49 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home