Friday, November 17, 2006

Shopping


Yesterday I was in the shops. N and I went to IKEA, where I resisted everything save the shower curtain I went for and a wonderful pair of curtains, which claimed my heart. Now I just need to get them past "budgetary control"! I was going to make some for my diningroom, and I couldn't have bought the material and lining for the price I paid for these, and not many places make 3m drops, and it will save my arm from pushing a sea of fabric through a Singer....

I know, it's not you I need to convince is it?

After that I went out for tea with two other friends who dragged me off to this awful marketing thing at a garden centre. It was like the Shopping Channel under glass. But I resisted anything there, apart from a beany cushion thing for my poor old FIL's bad back.

Christmas will be simple this year, good food and little fuss. The woman's pitch at this garden centre thing was very telling, she said there are only two problems with Christmas, finance and time! Very spiritual I must say.

I've had a good laugh at all the fuss over the Christmas stamps, the fact that they're all so secular and that on one it looks like Santa is pooing down the chimney. The Royal Mail blurb says they used a famous Japanese artist this year, I wonder how they briefed him. I've put the offending stamps up top, which probably breaks some copyright issue.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

Well you've convinced me. You couldn't possibly not buy them. Tell him I said so - usually goes down like a lead balloon. I'm trying not ot moan too much about the Christmas chores and my husband has said he will address the envelopes if I write the cards which will be an enormous help.

3:45 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks Pat. Your husband sounds lovely. I've still to confess.....

12:48 am  
Blogger blkbutterfly said...

when i saw the Santa stamps, i thought something looked off about them. you hit the nail on the head--- Santa pooing down the chimney. too funny!

i hope Christmas is low key for us this year too.

were you able to rationalize the curtains to your husband?

2:49 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Hi, yes thanks. I just produced them and explained my reasoning. He didn't say much, but I feel better. It's a silly dance we do around stuff for the house. I'm careful now with spending, but things do need renewed and refreshed.

3:27 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home