Saturday, November 18, 2006

Girl Aloud

Last night I went to the writers' group in a nearby town. They were having an open mike night. I was pleased and surprised to meet the lovely Rob He's been invited to read at a prestigious poetry event next year and wanted some practise, so I told him about last night.

I really enjoyed his readings, and they were very well received. I also met Sue, who did a really great poem on being diagnosed with cancer. We got chatting afterwards and it turns out we both did the same adjuvant therapy regime, which is fairly rare as it's only given in cases of fairly advance breast cancer, and we share a surgeon and oncologist. It was all a bit spooky. Anyway she bought my book and is going to give me her thoughts on it. She's just about to have her first novel published.

I read three short pieces, the Spanish Costa one, one called Poke, which is based on sorting through a bag of papers after my father died last year, and a daft McGonagall style thing on the rare red-rumped swallow that got scoffed by a sparrow hawk this week up in Montrose.

I enjoyed the night, but still suffer from a feeling of panic that someone is going to ask me what I'm doing there and then throw me out!

Today I must find a way to bring the curtains out of the cupboard under the stairs..............Might not be the best day to pick as my husband's back is playing him up. Advice on a postcard please ;).

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A friend of Dolly's has just discovered that she has stage 2 breast cancer. How serious is that?

5:44 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Well obviously not as good as stage 1. It's a complicated business.

Read more here:
http://www.breastcancer.org/dia_pict_staging.html

But I was Stage IIIA, which is worse and I'm still here.

6:10 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

Just a quickie to say thank you for your two comments and for some reason I simply cannot publish them. I had the same trouble with two others but eventually they got through. Bugger blogger! See you later.

8:39 pm  
Blogger David Todd said...

Just thought I'd mention, a new website's been launched over here in N.I by the breast cancer charity
Pretty n Pink

3:13 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks CS. I'll post it on the support board. Sad to have to deal with this disease at such a tendet age

12:47 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home