Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Dogger Bank


I was reading another blog and it occurred to me that I'd like a pod cast of the Shipping Forecast. It's about the only thing that gets me off to sleep at night. It's so comforting and mantra like. And I love that a guy wrote a book about all the places, and that he actually went out and photographed bits of sea to do it, and of course there's Rockall, which is my favourite place name. I've put a map here, cos it is brilliant to see where all these wonderful places sit on the map. I hear George Michael's favourite one is Dogger Bank!
I wrote a mad poem once about trying to sleep while simultaneously listening to it and my i-pod.

Poets' School was fun, no-one laughed at my poem, which was written about the journey a friend makes every working day, driving an ambulance from Skye to the main hospital in Inverness with the walking wounded. It's about weather, and the road and the people. I got some good suggestions on possible revisions. One woman was doing a "concrete poem" based on a raised beach on Jura, she'd shaped the words of the poem on the computer to match the stones on beach. There was a real mix of ages too, which was good. I think I'll go back.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

May we see the poem?
When we are in the car MTL can never undertand why I want the shipping forecast on. I agree with you. Son 1 gave me'Attention all Shipping' but to my shame it is still unread - takes me all my time to read the massive amounts of newspaper we get. Can recommend Annie Proulx 'Shipping News' which got me over a reader's block.
My favourite is Germans bite.

11:50 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Is that what it's called? I must look for it. I just graze R4 and never register names. I've read Shipping news, and two other Proux books, I love her spare style.
And I loved Broke Back Mountain, it really caught that sense of a vast landscape and suffocating social mores.

I'll post the poem. I've revised it a bit since the class, i was worried it was too "hokey".

12:35 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks auspicious. I wish i could record it!

12:26 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home