Tuesday, September 05, 2006

What about this post interests you ?

It's pouring again, any effects of the summer drought must have been made up in the last 48 hours. I missed the rain, but now it's back I've had enough - contrary as ever that's me. But it's saving me watering M's garden, my piano teacher who is off touring Germany. It's been a labour of love as she has loads of things that need watering, pumpkins,beans,courgettes,tomatoes, and I usually end up filling up about 12 watering cans - I wish she'd get a hose! But I'll only have her wee greenhouse today, yipee!

Husband is interviewing people for a post in his outfit today. He doesn't have to do this very often, so I've been helping him frame his questions to comply with all the experiential interviewing technique tosh. I used to have to interview or "board" as we called in the Civil Service until my eyes bled. You scored them as soon as they left, but you still had to write notes about what they were wearing so you could remember them at the end of the day.

Funniest interview was years ago when a colleague, unable to get anything from a candidate, noticed she ran a Brownie pack out in one of the villages, in desperation he asked her to tell him something about the difference between running such a group in a village as opposed to a large city, like Edinburgh. Her answer was, "Well I suppose it's would be hard to have a Sausages Sizzle up a close!"

I almost lost it at that point. I remember another guy who wouldn't make eye contact or speak, but proceeded to take out his tobacco tin and skins and roll himself a fag, which he then light. That might have worked if he'd been auditioning for Blue Peter!

I better go and do something useful

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find it extrememly rude when the interviewer rarely makes eye contact and all he / she does is jotting down everything I'm saying.

12:32 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Yes it's horrible when you feel there's no connection.

BTW tried to comment on your blog but it wouldn't post comments, Blogger must be playing up!

12:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I switched to blogger beta. I think you have to comment as Other for the moment.

2:21 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home