Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Grrr Technology

My printer is out of coloured ink, so it won't let me print anything, even text in B&W. How do they get away with pulling stunts like this? It's like saying you can't have a haircut unless you get coloured highlights. And if you buy a non-standard cartridge it huffs and puffs everytime you use it, reminding you that it's not one of theirs and la, la ,la ,la I'm not paying attention to you any more.

Things like this bring out the Basil Fawltey in me, I just want to thrash it within an inch of its life.

Printing off all the stuff for the night of chapbook launch. Writers' Group women are coming round on Friday and we're having a read through of it all to see how it sounds and gauge the overall flavour etc. Posters went up on Saturday, I just hope we sell all the tickets. I'll be so glad when it's over as I really hate face to face public things.

Tonight I'm going to the Poets School at the Poetry Library in the city. Not sure what it will be like, but I'd really like some structure in my attempts to write.
I think I have a good ear for what I like in poetry, but find it hard to stand back from my own things. This class only meets once a month, but I hope it will be helpful.

Husband bought Paulo Nutini's album, These Streets. He's a 19 year old from Paisley, Scotland who has already appeared at the Carnagie Hall NY. His voice is wonderful and the album is very good, I love Autumn, it is written about his grandfather, it's simply beautiful. He still has a myspace page, check it out at:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

myface or myspace?

12:50 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

opps, space!

1:11 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

Have you any recommendations for a really solid printer? Mine is Epson C40 plus which has never been very good. I have most of my stuff on CD but am working towards printing the story which would be hopeless with this one. Then again I suppose one could pay someone to print it from a CD. Have you any advice please?

11:38 pm  
Blogger blkbutterfly said...

ah, isn't capitalism great? you're forced to buy what you don't really need in order to get work done. gotta love it! (yeah, right)... my old printer was like. the new one doesn't do that, thankfully.

2:50 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

All I can say Pi is avoid the Epson CX3200. it prints really well, but cartridges are tiny.

I think putting it on CD and getting it copied would probably work out cheaper, especially if you use somewhere in the city that does high volume prints, or even the local library, they tend to do not for profit type printing.

I've not bought a big printer for pictures as I iuse a pro lab, i just do wee test colour prints on mine - again because I don't do the volume to justify it.

I'd recommend Googling something like "Printer best buys" and check out on line recommendations for machines that do what you want to.

Blkb - exactly! I hate the way all equipment is branded via function so you can't mix and match to easily.

11:46 am  
Blogger Pat said...

Thanks a lot - I'm sure that is excellent advice. The idea of getting it done appeals greatly.

5:13 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home