Sunday, November 01, 2009

Projects








Yesterday I had a really lazy day as I felt pretty tired having been out and about the two previous days.

On Friday I was at the launch of the National Galleries for Scotland "Get Inspired Get Writing" anthology, which showcases the work of the winning entries of the last two years, including my own poem "Life Class". I was really pleased to discover that the introduction is by Janice Galloway, a real heroine of mine - I saw her speak a couple of years ago on Edward Lear at Stanza and it was one of the best things I've ever heard. But the best bit is that she mentions my poem, which is just a huge thrill. I attach a couple of photos of the book.

After that I went on to a friend's event, which was a quiz night in aid of a Scottish youth charity. I was on a team with some former colleagues and we had a great night, although we didn't win. But the names of the quiz teams were hilarious -my favourite was "Quiz Team Aguilera"

On Thursday my friend A. and I did a wee bit of work on a collaborative project that we hope to see published in the Spring, and then we had a lovely walk in the grounds of the National Museum of Modern Art - again I attach a few shots here of the grounds, a Barbara Hepworth piece and a new installation, that says in lights "There Will Be No Miracles Here" - I've frame it against some city church spires.

It's been a great few days, although the down side has been hearing that a friend who went through treatment with me has had a recurrence to her bones and another good friend is dealing with her son having just been diagnosed as bi-polar. I sent this particular friend a poem I've just written and she replied saying she is claiming it for herself as, "it captures how I feel impeccably" - and that means more than anything else to me.

9 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Fox said...

Anthology sounds (and looks) brilliant.
x

9:17 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

Well done on the anthology, it looks really inspiring.

I've just come across from Juliet at Crafty Green, I must say, your neck of the woods sounds so culturally vibrant, I am kind of envious.

Great pictures...

5:29 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

My word - haven't you been busy! The anthology looks really good. I'd treasure that, esp. the Janice Galloway comment for sure.

Tough news tho' on the other fronts. Good that the poem was helpful - good for you.

8:20 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

What a lovely time you are having - apart from the sad news. My eyes can't read the poem till I get my new glasses. I remember walking round Barbara Hepworth's garden in St Ives - impressive.

8:26 pm  
Blogger Regina said...

Always wonderful to be recognized, especially by someone you so admire! Congrats!
The pictures were amazing and thanks for the sweet peeks into the book.
All the best for your friends... what can one say? Poetry always seems to fill a need where it is needed most.
Good on you.
x

12:20 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks girls. It is a lovely thing to have. And Edinburgh is lovely in the autumn, quieter and lovelier.

3:49 pm  
Blogger swiss said...

i missed it! rain interfered with oyr plans. most frustrating!

4:22 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Shame Swiss, we might have met IRL!

4:26 pm  
Blogger Rouchswalwe said...

One of the best gifts is a poem written by a friend!

12:42 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home