Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Indigo Girls

I can't wait for tomorrow night to see the Indigo Girls. While I like and love a lot of music written by younger people it is really good to be able to hear lyrics written by women of your own age.

Today I'm looking at prints of pictures that I've just got back to try and decide which ones to get backed/mounted for a competition. I hate this stage of the process, because I'm my own worst critic and half the time I just pick the shots to pieces and lose heart. But this time I need to decide right away and then get them off to the framers, otherwise I'm going to miss the deadline.

Last night I went to see Janet Paisley in Edinburgh. She was reading with some Ukrainian academics who have translated one of her collections and a novel into their language. It was an interesting to hear the Ukrainians speak about the act of translation, and about how poetry and humour are essential requirements in this mixed-up, beat-up old world of ours. We also noticed that their poetry books are printed in a small diary like style, which they said was standard there, as it saved on "resources" and also meant that they could be easily transported and read on the bus or tube. Maybe we should give the format a whirl here, it might boost poetry sales.

And N has mentioned to me that her good friend Flick is writing a blog called, "Cancer Travels" - if you can please look in, as she is an inspiring woman, who is not lying down to the disease. Her blog is here .

Meanwhile here's the girls with some middle-aged angst:


8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Enjoy the Indigo Girls, they sound like fun, which I could be doing with a heap of now :)

Make that comp. deadline too - you never know... and I know what you mean about picky.

9:29 pm  
Blogger Pam said...

Enjoy the concert! I'm nearly in your zone so will be thinking of you as I stroll the boulevards.

1:15 am  
Blogger Rouchswalwe said...

You won't believe it, Anna. But I don't know the music of the Indigo Girls. So I have reserved at my local library every IG CD they have. Commuting to work should be fun for the next several weeks. What's your favorite song? And how was the concert?
Those small diary-like editions are common in Japan. I always seemed to have a volume in my hand while I was there.
Visited N's friend's website. Courage and humour in abundance there.

2:04 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Oh I had a ball. I sang my wee heart out and half the lesbian population of the Central Belt seemed to be there to support them and the love in the room was huge.

My husband and I met a straight couple who had flown in from Sweden especially to see them, so they have a big drawing power of dedicated fans. They spoke movingly about some of the obstacles they have faced in their careers by being openly gay. And about their hopes for Obama, they said they were prepared to be patient with him.

Their harmonies are just incredible and we ripped the roof off when we all sang Closer to Fine -which is one of my favourite songs.

We spent the afternoon with my MIL and walked in the park. She was entranced by the all falling leaves and picked them up like a small child. And she stopped an older couple and sais "What a lovely day, and what about the colours?" The woman, who had wild white hair and bright eyes smiled at her and said "Autumn is such a gift". It was a touching moment.
I also annoyed the warden by putting her washing on to too long a setting, and felt like a scolded child myself.....

R I hope you like them, I bet you'll be caught singing on the bus :)

11:14 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

PS Pam enjoy your mini break. I so jealous - Paris in autumn, how lovely.

11:15 am  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

Where oh where were they playing? How could I possibly have missed them? I saw them three times in six months last time they were over here and loved all the concerts.

This just proves that friending your favourite bands on Myspace doesn't guarentee keeping in touch with them

Glad you had a good time.....

2:28 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

They were on at the ABC in Glasgow. They did a great set, gave a third of it over to requests.

10:21 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

Great song and great voices.

12:33 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home