Saturday, September 12, 2009

Gap in my education

I'm a member of the Scottish Poetry Library and regularly borrow books from their wonderful collection. I recently borrowed Jean Valentine's Door in the Mountain and I must admit to being completely blown away. I have never read any of her work before, but I find her style and use of language astounding and compelling.

Adrienne Rich says of her, "This is poetry of the highest order, because it lets us into spaces and meaning we couldn't approach in any other way. The known and familiar become one with the mysterious and half-wild, at the place where consciousness and the subliminal meet."

I particularly love this poem Inkwell daybreak

and

The Hawthorn Robin Mends With Thorns, which isn't on line, but begins:

Talking to Mary about 1972:
like a needle
through my 25-years-
older breast my years thinner rib....


If you get the chance read her work, you won't be disappointed. And take a closer look at her site on the link I provided, which includes readings and pdf's of some poems in this collection.

4 Comments:

Blogger Regina said...

Oh, wow- a wonderful find here... thanks so much for the link. I really enjoyed going through her poems...
:)

12:23 am  
Blogger Pam said...

I love Jean Valentine's work. I think she has a new collection coming out next year. Little Boat is another great book.

4:36 am  
Blogger Pat said...

Dilemma: do I follow the link or resist temptation and try to catch up with visiting blog friends?

12:07 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks girls. Pam I'll look out for her new collection. Her work is like a breath of fresh air.

Pat, I know the problem. I'm trying to stay off the computer and catch up on things around the house that are getting out of whack.

12:38 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home