Sunday, October 11, 2009

Posted Missing



Sorry I'm not posting, I find I'd rather be outdoors using my hands at the moment. I think the new pond has inspired me, and with my son's help I've given the garden a major overhaul, putting down 2 tons of new gravel on the paths, including the greenhouse, and clearing some areas and planting some new things.

I also feel a low level of unease,even with devolution,as the UK drifts inexorably towards another Tory Government.

And I hate how gullible we seem to be about a two-party system which allows one party to stay in power long after it has run out of steam and then switches wholesale to the other lot again, expecting something better.

David Cameron is just the Tony Blair of 1997. I bet he'll even be spouting on about "A New Dawn" any day now! This morning the radio had a hilarious sketch comparing politicians speeches to the lyrics of musicals, including High School Musical, which
has Osbourne's favourite line about us all being "in this together"!

Yesterday in Edinburgh there was a march to celebrate a demonstration and march 100 years ago by Scottish women seeking the vote. I wonder what they would make of our progress and the issues we currently face?

My new hero is Helen MacArthur, the round the world yachtswoman, who has said that
she now intends to stay on dry land and try and live as sustainably as she does at sea. She spent some time on the islands of South Georgia, seeing at first had our impact on the environment and the plight of some of the wildlife, not least the albatross, and it made her vow to move on to this new challenge.

I know it is really hard to take the long view of life when you are trying to pay the mortgage, feed the kids and clear up cat sick, but unless we each start looking at how we each live our lives I fear this game is already a bogie.

Politicians and endless legislation, which is often unenforceable, because we are not prepared to pay the price of policing or administering it, are only part of the solution, and more often than not the biggest part of the problem.

I watched the BBC 4 series on technology, about a family going back to live with 1970s technology,and I was amazed to learn that this family of five had something like 6 televisions, two computers and 4 laptops. I can see the need for laptops, but the number of TVs amazed me.

This slump is the result of a loss of confidence in consumerism, it would be good if recovery was seen to be something more than just getting us to flex our plastic again - not that some of us could ever afford to flex it much in the first place.
OK, mump and sermon over!

I see the Indigo Girls next week, this is a favourite song of theirs that I sing when digging:




Clearing webs from the hovel
A blistered hand on the handle of a shovel
Ive been digging too deep
I always do
I see my face on the surface
I look a lot like narcissus
A dark abyss of an emptiness
Standing on the edge of a drowning blue

I look behind my ears for the green
And even my sweat smells clean
Glare off the white hurts my eyes
I gotta get out of bed
Get a hammer and a nail
Learn how to use my hands
Not just my head
I think myself in a jail
Now I know a refuge never grows
From a chin in a hand
And a thoughtful pose
Gotta tend the earth
If you want a rose

I had a lot of good intentions
Sit around for fifty years
And then collect a pension
Started seeing the road to hell
And just where it starts
But my life is more than a vision
The sweetest part is acting
After making a decision
Started seeing the whole
As a sum of its parts

And I look behind my ears for the green
And even my sweat smells clean
Glare off the white hurts my eyes
Gotta get out of bed
Get a hammer and a nail
Learn how to use my hands
Not just my head
I think myself in a jail
Now I know a refuge never grows
From a chin in a hand
And a thoughtful pose
Gotta tend the earth
If you want a rose

My life is part of the global life
Id found myself becoming more immobile
When Id think a little girl in the world
Cant do anything
A distant nation my community
And a street person my responsibility
If I have a care in the world
I have a gift to bring

I look behind my ears for the green
Even my sweat smells clean
Glare off the white hurts my eyes
I gotta get out of bed
Get a hammer and a nail
Learn how to use my hands
Not just my head
I think myself in a jail
Now I know a refuge never grows
From a chin in a hand
And a thoughtful pose
Gotta tend the earth
If you want a rose

6 Comments:

Blogger savannah said...

amen, sister! a line from one of my favorite movies, get busy livin or get busy dyin is my motto right now! enjoy the outdoors! xoxoxo

3:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed and agreed with a lot of your 'mump and sermon'. I wish Westminster had Annabel Goldie rather than David Cameron, I'd maybe feel a bit more sanguine about what seems an inevitable return to a Tory guvmint. I'd also settle for Douglas Alexander at Holyrood, in place of his U.S.

1:21 pm  
Blogger Regina said...

I can't comment on any of the politics but I will say we could all do with a little bit less... even though many of us are going through hard times already, it's amazing what we've gotten used to...
And I love that Indigo Girls song!
Glad you are finding so much enjoyment outside- it's been rainy here but the leaves are definitely turning!
:)
x

6:55 pm  
Blogger Rouchswalwe said...

The tough times here are bringing about some neighborly behavior. Folks are nicer to strangers it seems (I'm thinking of some incidents at the grocery store of late). Mumpiness is a good thing to bump into ~ makes us think and hopefully do.

11:05 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I wonder if we'll ever be able to say, "Aah, life's good" ever again? The world is in a sorry state isn't it? But I know nature has a way of cheering us up - that's why you're spending so much time in its company these days, is my guess. :)

10:56 am  
Blogger Rachel Fox said...

Politics...oh dear. Nobody listens to anybody, do they? Has it always been like that?

Indigo Girls are one of those bands I just missed for some reason. But I really enjoyed this song.

x

7:34 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home