Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Sweet




A friend got a call from the library service yesterday, to say she would need to come in to help her son complete his request for a book or language course on Introductory Polish.

My friend was rather taken aback at this, as she had no idea that her ten year old boy had a yen to learn the language. So when he came home from school she asked him what it was all about.

Apparently the school have a buddying/mentor service where older pupils look out for new pupils during their first weeks. And L's boy has been asked to look after a five year old Polish boy, who speaks little or no English. So he thought he had better try and learn some basic Polish to help the wee boy, and had called in at the library on the way home!

L said when he told her she didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

The weather here has been glorious for three days running, so I've been harvesting my crops and taking lovely walks, while it lasts. I've also been putting in some Spring bulbs and wallflowers, to brighten up the front garden in the Spring and digging out some things from the back garden that have got too big for their boots - including a lovely inula that seeds itself around much too freely. And I've also been getting treatment on my neck and shoulder, which are rather stiff and sore, but responding to physio.

PS pond programme airs tonight, see here

8 Comments:

Blogger Rouchswalwe said...

Thank goodness for children. I am always amazed at how they know what to do in situations like this.
Take care of that shoulder, Anna!

3:57 pm  
Blogger swiss said...

i wouldn't laugh or cry, i'd be very proud of him.

one of the girls i work with has a husband who works with a lot of polish folk and, as a result, has picked up a fair bit of polish. so much so that he's been passing it on to their five/six year old daughter unknown to her mother. at least that is until she asked her to hurry up for school and was treated to what can only be described as workie polish.

a doorstepping for the husband swiftly followed and a banning for the child from the works van!

9:53 pm  
Blogger swiss said...

p.s> i'll be catching up on the pond on watch again

9:54 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

R yes children are amazing.

Swiss I agree I would have been proud, but the by is such a chacter I think she worries what he'll try next. Children are such sponges when it comes to learning languages, it's a shame we don't make more of it.

12:31 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I love the humour in the garden show - was that you digging in the background of the piece about your pond?

7:56 pm  
Blogger Dave King said...

Interesting, well-presented and various, I enjoyed my initial ramble through your blog.

2:18 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

What a sweet boy.
Good luck with the shoulder. I do my physio exercises every day and my shoulder is vastly better. Now for the pelvic floor:)

10:25 am  
Blogger Lucy said...

What a lovely story!

That fruit and veg photo looks gorgeous on your black background...

7:19 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home