Thursday, March 05, 2009

Polly Clark/Fielding Foundation

I got an e-mail from Polly asking me for a 75 word biography and photo for the Fielding Foundation site for the April 2009 course.

This makes the fact that I'm going at all start to feel horribly real and trying to extricate myself from things around here is getting all the more difficult, what with my MIL's house selling, which means we now have to empty the place by mid May and my FIL's hip op, no he's not a rapper, now happening on the 15 April.
My family all have a great capacity to bury their heads in the sand as things with the speed and force of a runaway steam train come thundering towards them out of left field. I'm not entirely sure what the evolutionary benefits of this trait are, nor do I have it in the great spades that my father did, but it does lurks within me and I do deploy it against the things that I find most scary.

I booked this course a year ago, for the very reason that I wanted to have one week where all I had to think about was me. But I'm now starting to feel selfish, with a large dose of blind panic thrown in for good measure.

On a more upbeat note Lucy and I have an overspill piece at postal poetry from our "mutating the signature" collaboration, my photo/her poem. And my friend and soon to be published poet, Irene Brown and I have both got poems into this collection , a poetry and film project about Edinburgh using 100 poems about the city that will be turned into film shorts. We applied at the 11th hour, so I'm 98 and Irene is 97 I think, but the company is very fine.

9 Comments:

Blogger Colin Will said...

It looks idyllic. Jane & I were wanting to go on an Assynt retreat this year, but they're doing up the lodge.

10:49 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

Don't spoil your week away by fretting. Try to keep it sacrosanct and do what you can to engage everyone else in tackling the other stuff. Make lists of to do's. I suffer the same problems except I don't tackle half the things you do.
Good luck!

8:16 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:35 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Ach my brain is not in gear yet. Sorry you're missing the Assynt retreat Colin -I know how much it inspires you

Thanks Pat. I am looking forward to it, it is just the getting there, especially when those around you don't share your enthusiasms - you're always left feeling like you're slightly self indulgent. And a year ago all the upset with my in laws was impossible to predict.

11:37 am  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Hope you can make the getaway and enjoy it to the fullest extent.
I remember those steps when we were in Edinburgh. An impressive collaboration. (I got the chills!)

3:28 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm nodding in agreement with PI - I know how hard it is to make the time, but it will work out, you'll see.

10:09 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks KAY, I have a thing about steps, some of my best shots feature them.

And thanks for the advice on the retreat thing, I just seem to have too many things to cram in betwen now and then and I think the cold I had just made it feel like a mountain to climb -to tell the truth I could havve done with a gap between son going to uni and my in laws health collapsing, but that's life!

12:39 pm  
Blogger savannah said...

i'm with the others, do what you must for the family, but make sure you do what you need for YOU, sugar! xoxox

2:39 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks S, I know you are dealing with this stuff too!

10:41 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home