Sunday, February 08, 2009

I love Sundays

I worked in the garden again today, still tidying things up, collecting up leaves and bits of tree dropped during the loping of the willow, the ground was too hard to do much else.

Then I made a big casserole with brisket and bay leaves picked from the garden and enjoyed it perfuming the house while I watched Quand j'étais chanteur - with Gerard Depardieu. (I was so sad to hear of his son's death this week.)

I really like this song from it, Les Paradis Perdus,(this is someone's home made video, but it has the best sound of the versions on youtube)



I think I'm going to join a DVD club with a decent world film section as I find more and more that I like foreign cinema. (TV is getting like the States, 222 channels and nothing on - save endless bloody repeats of "Coast" - Christ if I have to watch that man Oliver flick his hair out of his mouth and then speak over his shoulder into the teeth of a gale on some windswept, soggy British beach once more I'll bloody scream! He is to geography/travel what Taggart is to murder.)

After that I watched an amazing film on Henry Darger. It's made by Diorama films (click the links for tasters of Darger work and the film). I hadn't heard too much about his work before, but I found this film spellbinding.

He lived a long life largely in poverty, but he created an incredible internal world of colour and beauty that was only discovered when he was moved into a charitable old folks home during the final weeks of his life. If you get the chance view the film and judge him for yourself.

(PS excuse my typos, I'm really struggling at present to catch mistakes, maybe my brain is still fried from the migraine)

6 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

Hi Anna--check out John Ashbery's book length poem on Darger, "Girls on the Run." Best, Pam

2:59 am  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Thanks for your offer of some magical glimpses into some interesting 'other worlds' - including yours Anna!

7:58 am  
Blogger Pat said...

Oh I didn't know that about the son. Awful for one's child to predecease one.
I loved what you said about that long - haired wally - whose name escapes me . I must tell MTL as we tend to feel the same:)

11:04 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am laughing at your giving out about that man on Coast. I thought it was just me - that and the fact he's on that new history prog about Scotland...

10:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you worked in the garden on Sunday?! Mine was under 6 inches of snow and getting deeper by the minute!

I have just looked yearningly out at my greenhouse full of frost - and knowing that my fleece-wrapped geraniums will not make it!!

and I think Neil is just getting to that point in his life when the hair is no longer appealing!

This is a stone, not just any stone but a Scottish stone. Tosh!
belleek

5:48 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Ha Ha I'm glad I'm not alone in findind Neil and his barnet intensely annoying. He started his career on our local paper here, they have a lot to answer for!

We had no snow on Sunday, but it was back yesterday til noon.

My geraniums are toast too, its the damp more than the cold that gets them in a cold greenouse. I know they're not that dar to replace, but I did like the colours I had last year. I've also got a tiny pomegrante tree in there in a pot, so I'm hoping it will pull through.

7:01 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home