Thursday, February 26, 2009

Balance sheet insolvent



This morning I received a lovely note and photo via good old snail mail from my poet and artist friend Judi Benson, who is the widow of poet Ken Smith. It was a fantastic photo of the recent snow in London, showing one of Judi's cherry trees burdened by about a foot of snow on each branch - in fact it look like a snowdrift had been plonked up in her tree.

It was such a nice surprise to get a real note through the mailbox. And last week I cheered my FIL up, he's housebound pending a hip operation, by sending him a bunch of art programmes that I'd DVD'd, as he likes to paint and is really missing his art classes. Just two examples of how I use the Royal Mail. I also value it for the service it delivers to very rural Scottish communities.

So at lunchtime today I was very pleased to hear a female Labour MP making a stout defence of the service by saying that the Government's argument that the Royal Mail should be sold off because it is "balance sheet insolvent" could equally be applied to the country right now, and that no-one is advocating we sell off Wales!

Good for her I say!

And while we're at it let's get Fred the Shred into a high visibility jacket!

And good for Andy Murray, he says he is willing give up his RBS sponsorship, as he feels ashamed to be taking money from them in the present climate.
He seems to have a better moral code at 20 than most of the middle aged bankers that have been paraded before us.

Other than that the week has been mixed, on Tuesday I read with three other Calder Wood Press writers at the launch of Colin's latest book project. It was a good night and we had a great audience. Then yesterday my wee car had a brake problem on the A1 when I was half way to Edinburgh and I had to turn around and nurse it home. So it is off the road until Monday when it goes in to be fixed, which is a bit of a pain and an expense.

6 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

Ouch brake problems are serious. Hope you get it fixed soon. I must tell MTL about Andy Murray's praise- worthy gesture. He's not a fan.

6:43 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

We were just talking about mail yesterday saying how if the bank stopped sending mailed account balances, we would get no mail at all! Which isn't really true, but pretty close.

1:06 am  
Blogger savannah said...

first, i have to say that i JUST discovered i can buy your prints right here on your site..well, not here by the link...forgive my denseness!

now, back to this post - you'e also reminded me i have to take the car in on monday! thank you!

and secondly or thirdly, re the post - there's been some talk about ending saturday delivery because of cost and less than stellar use by citizens. the govt. is saying that less mail is going out because people are using their computers more. sigh i do hope it's just talk and no going to happen. i watch the old folks walk to the letterbox in front of their home (across my street) everyday, just to say hello to the driver and get their mail...

2:59 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I heard about the reading over on Colin's: he was delighted with ye all.

Sorry to hear the vroom is causing bother, I hope it's not too expensive to repair.

Post is a rural service. They tried to do something similar here in Ireland and they realised that their support base in rural areas would cost them dearly! Here, the whole country outside Dublin is rural!

5:57 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Yes car went in today to be cured, hopefully the bill won't kill me!

I just don't trust Mandelson to fix anything, and the Royal Mail has been made to play with one hand tied behind its back delivering rivals mail at a loss.

S. thanks for looking at my stuff, I hope you liked it.

I have a almighty cold that has had me in bed since Friday. It took all my energy to drop the car off at 8am, so now I'm off to sleep for a bit

10:50 am  
Blogger Lucy said...

God it would be awful just to rely on those private mail services. I can't see them doing away with La Poste here though.

I'm not a huge Andrew Murray fan but that does endear him.

Hope the car (bill)'s Ok...

5:31 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home