Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Basil!


Yesterday I dragged the propagator out of the shed and cleaned it up and brought it inside - one major regret is that I didn't put mains power into my greenhouse - and I've planted some tomato and pepper seeds. The tomatoes are very mixed, everything from a tiny grape form to big beef steak ones. The peppers are a sweet variety that did really well last year, probably due to the hot summer. Peppers like a big root run so I finally pot them into tomato pots, which are really deep and they seem to do well. Ideally they should go into the greenhouse border, but there's never room.
I also sowed a few hardy perennials for the garden - not sure if the seed will be viable as it came from a seed exchange and has been kicking around for a while.but I'll see what happens. BTW if you love hardy perennials then join the Hardy Plants Society. Their end of year seed exchange is fantastic.

I also had my piano lesson last night, and the lay-off has not helped my playing. I'm really not cut out to be a musician, and progress is very slow, but I do think it helps to keep challenging the mind with new things. I'm just not sure my teacher would agree with me! (We do an exchange on the lesson, which is just once a fortnight, I help her in her garden, at the moment we're planting wall trained fruit trees, training them, tying them in and pruning them.)Last night her partner gave me a gift pack of basil seed, as she'd got two and one was more than enough. So later in the year I'll sow Greek, cinnamon, Thai and lemon basil. Can't wait to make fresh pesto!

And my lens is here, but I need to pick it up from the depot. I hope to get it tomorrow - I'm excited as it means it's here in time for snowdrop shots.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger apprentice said...

Hi Jason, yes it is good to get a head start, our growing season is pretty short, although long summer light helps a lot.

3:21 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home