Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Got my boy home

He's still on complete bedrest, but at least he's at home. I'm putting a battery of drops into his eye throughout the day to keep te pressure down. With the injury he sustained there's a risk over the next few days of a further bleed, so fingers crossed please.

He can't see very well out of the eye, but that is largely due to the debris left behind by the bleed, which is gradually draining away. He has this weird tidemark across his eye, below which is the settled blood.He's very tired too, as he hardly slept in hospital.

We go back on Friday to see what's what.

So glad the sports centre manager took him straight to the Eye Pavilion, I think it must have helped. The medical care was good, but the building had a temporary run-down feel to it. Plus most of the nursing night shift were from an agency and their English wasn't great, one told me my son might get home "yesterday", she meant tomorrow. Plus the ward got closed as the bathrooms needed work, they were very basic and clapped out, so everyone was moved up two floors!

I had no complaints over my own treatment, but eye care seems to be a pretty poor relation to cancer care in terms of the actual buildings/estate.

This is yet another reminder, if we needed one, that life can change very quickly indeed.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger apprentice said...

Sorry this reads like I've an objection to foreign nurses. I don't, but it makes me worry about the fundementals of treatment when there's a lack basic English in a medical environment.

Nurses are being treated like teachers were a while ago, no new permanent post, just short term contracts/agency staff because parts of the service can't see where they are oing. In the long run it costs everyone dear.

1:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad he's home - under your care. Rest and loving care can work miracles. He'll be OK.

6:17 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Had a great day, not. He barfed at lunch time. Had to phone the hospital, as it seemed a reaction to the oral glaucoma meds. So they've agreed that we can cut them out as his eye pressure was normal yesterday, and he's still pain free, and he's rallying now. Poor kid, throwing up will trying not to strain his eye/bend his head, not easy!

Actually my own experience has proved really helpful in asking the right questions of the right people. I don't just accept things anymore.

6:28 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to your son.
Glad the recovery's going okay.

8:28 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks CB, see latest post, we've had a rough few days.

6:56 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home