Thursday, January 11, 2007

Crazy few days


My son's eye problems took a turn for the worse in the early hours of Wednesday. He was readmitted to hospital and had to have emergency surgery to hoover out the debris left by the bleed, as it was more than the eye's own drainage system could cope with. He was in a lot of pain, and was very sick, due to high pressure that the blocked drainage was causing. It was very distressing for him, and for us, his parents, to watch.

Seeing him go off to theatre yesterday afternoon was the most gut-wrenching thing I've experienced. My son has always had the most beautiful blue eyes and
I kept thinking of the Plath line I posted from the poem Child, "Your clear eye is the one absolutely beautiful thing."

He's now resting in hospital, and feeling a lot better, but it's early days and I will not tempt the Gods of Irony further by saying more.

We've had a violent storm here over night which has ripped a few slates of our roof, so we have a bucket in situ up in the loft until it's safe for the slater to go up there.

Only good news is that my popular stock shot has also won a local landscape photography competition. They left a message on my machine, details of the presentation are to follow.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Hypersonic said...

Sorry to hear about your son's problems. Came over from the Gaughan forum.

11:56 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thank you. It's been a hellish few days, all from a couple of seconds in a five aside game!

12:05 am  
Blogger Pat said...

I've got everything crossed.
You must have been inspired when you took that shot and it will take some beating.

3:10 pm  
Blogger nmj said...

hey, haven't come by for a while, sad to read about your son's accident, my fingers are well & truly crossed for his recovery x

12:15 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Pat. There was a one third public vote in the exhibition and a well known Scottish wildlife photographer judge it. I'm relly surprised as I've never won anything since school, lol!

Hi nmj, thanks for looking in. He's a little better today, we took him for a pressure check and it's still in the high normal range which is good, and his vision is a little better. So so far so good.

10:20 pm  
Blogger Rob said...

This must be so emotionally wrneching for all of you. Let's hope things really are taking a turn for the better now and that your son makes a full recovery.

10:52 am  
Blogger Pat said...

Thinking of you.

11:40 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks Rob, it's all been pretty horrible. I think we'd all rather have something happen to us rather than our kids. I've been thinking a lot about how other parents have to cope with much worse, and I'm not sure how they do it.

Thanks Pat, your a lovely person.

He just ate a big bowl of homemade chicken soup, so he must be on the mend!

I'm trying to introduce the idea of tidying up a few papers, so that when he does get back to studying, he's not to do close work for a least a month, his things are in better shape, but my advice is falling on deaf ears.

1:43 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home