Monday, October 30, 2006

Stern warning


I know I said I wasn't worried about global warming, but I was joking, it does really bother me. It's been obvious for some time that global warming will be catastrophic for many countries and many truly wonderful habitats around the world, English bluebell woods, the sheet ice that polar bears depend on, the Maldives, etc, etc.

Here's a tiny example in my neck of the woods. This is a beautiful loch surrounded by decididous woodland. These trees should be a riot of coppers by now, but this was taken yesterday and there's really only a hint of the usual colour and we're almost into November.

Read the Stern report here He makes a very good economic case for change. I saw some eejit woman on the TV chuntering on about how she needs a 4x4 as she has 3 kids, what bollocks I can carry three kids in my Renault Clio, or two hulking teenagers and their golf bags.

Also see this about celebs who claim to be doing their bit. Air travel is so hugely carbon greedy. I must admit I do feel guilty flying now, although I hardly rack up many air miles. I wonder if this works? I think if I fly again I might look into it.

Yesterday I also saw the weirdest rabbit, a wild one sitting on the verge as I puttered by. It was fully grown, but it had no ears, just wee stumps. It must have lost them to some predator or some savage parent. It looked really odd, and very, very butch, sort of the Grant Mitchell of the rabbit kingdom. Or maybe it's evolving and long ears don't suit mild damp winters :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

The thing that chils me (no pun intended) is the melting of icebergs.
We are no longer flying but it isn't purely altruistic i must admit.

5:27 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

I'm don't think it will be turned around. The world is truly nuts, Chinese flogging their guts out and destroying their environment to produce cheap tat that we get into debt to buy and throw away before it's paid for :(.

11:43 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I do my bit too...5 kids in the back of an aging Peugeot 106, with two to a belt... only journeys over a half hour, mind you. Big kid goes in the front. Quite hard to get the car over 50... tee hee.

And if it's local, we walk. Get funny looks though.

3:27 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Gosh C that sounds like hard work, hope you don't meet to many hills.
I hate it here, all these toffee nosd types in hulking 4x4 that only off road in Tescos car park, and you can get down some of our narrow streets for them.

9:40 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home