Saturday, August 12, 2006

Yay!!!!

N's MRI showed no further growth in her spinal tumour, so it looks like it has gone quiet again. She really thrilled. I think the lack of pain made her hope for the best, but nothing like those magic pictures to confirm it. She is back on Tamoxifen, which she took for 5 years, stopping eight years ago. Since then she's gone through the full gamit of oestrogen suppressing breast cancer drugs. But apparantely sometimes, after a sufficient gap, Tamoxifen, now a cheap wee generic drug which costs 20p a pop, can start to work again. Looks like it has in her case, let's hope it lasts for a while now, as the alternatives aren't great.

I feel much better after two days of slobbing around, think I just overdid things.
Although yesterday I did help a friend to burn back up system DVDs for her new laptop. I should charge for the number of middle aged women friends whose pcs I fix.
Installing virus software, fixing printers etc, etc. I'm a middle aged geek lol!

Also got asked to help some other friends with a travel business produce some promotional material. I don't have a big stock of travel pix so I've been trawling a few stock libraries for them. It is actually a great way to train eye and to see things from a picture editor's perspective. I found a few they may like, though tastes always differ. They seem to really like the Maldives shot of perfect sky and sea, with a wooden walkway going up the centre. I wonder for how much longer we'll be able to appreciate such places given they stick out of the sea like tiny low lying lily pads. I feel really ambivalent about travel these days, love to do it, but appreciate that I'm helping to destroy what I set out to see. Only good effect of latest scare is that our carbon foot print will shrink for a day or two, at at least until the airline shares have bottomed out.

Today I'm shooting a half marathon for the sponsors.Should be through by 3.30, then I have a piano lesson, which I've not practised for, so I better do something now.

GPS is away to a footie match in the West with friends. Husband is driving me round the half marathon course.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kay Cooke said...

It's been great catching up on your news. Sounds like you've been rather busy. Hope you can enjoy a little more of the Edinburgh Festival - how long does it last? Good news about your friend's health.

1:30 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks. I'm really pleased for my friend, she has so much to live for, especially her wee grandaughter

9:42 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

That sounds like good news all round. Don't want to nag but remember to pace yourself and don't get over tired. Believe me i try to practice what I preach.
Never stand when you can sit. Never sit whan you can lie.

12:02 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks Pi. It is a tension between packing as much in while you are able, and of taking necessary rest. I don't always get it right, indeed I have a problem of just sitting and "being" sometimes. I think a cancer diagnosis gives you this awful feeling of time compression, and it's hard to shake it of post treatment, no matter how well you are.

10:28 am  
Blogger blkbutterfly said...

you're truly a jill of all trades! i'm glad that N's tumor isn't growing anymore. i love the way you celebrate your friends' victories. you're an awesome friend.
oh, and i take it that's you in the user pic? you're beautiful! i also really like the design of it. self created, i assume?

4:36 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home