Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Been offered

an exhibition of photographs at the local horticultural show. I took pictures there last year, and they want me to mount an exhibition of some of the shots. I'm excited about it as I hope they'll like the interpretation I've put on all they amazing things they grow. The Chrysanths were beautiful and I've done some fantastic duotones of them, their shape and form is just amazing. And the veg is equally spectacular, they have monster leeks, whose leaves trail like kelp in the sea, and I've done a really good triptch with a leek shot. I hope to weave in some outdoor things too, like some allotment shots I've done with lopsided huts and massive globe artichokes.

I've also been offered a wee bit of funding to do a chap book of the cancer chronicles series poem. I'm going to "produce" a readings night on the topic of health with the Writers' Group to launch it. We'll read from published and unpublished work on the theme of health, and we hope to make the programme varied and entertaining. The Scottish Poetry Library are being very helpful in locating some of the things I want to use. We'll sell tickets for a cancer charity, and my GPs surgery have said they will support it by attending and putting posters up etc.
We're going to included pieces of flash fiction, 150 words, based on the idea of casenotes and of people sitting in waiting rooms.

This is a recent poem from a group that I'm writing on the theme of memory being triggered by individual senses, this one is on taste. (In Scotland "hunt" can also mean to chase someone/thing away, as in "I hunted the doorstep salesman")I wanted to give it a kind of Lord of Flies take on childhood. Anyway comments are welcome, especially if you think there's room for improvement.

Taste buds

A rich, ruby ripple
bursts upon my
tongue, and we’re
in broken sunlight,

in a scrappy strip
of wood that screens
sixties ticky tacky houses
from a busy city road.

The canes are dense and
spiteful, like the bamboo
old Makepeace sees in the
fevered dreams his faded
wife reports to Mum.

We hunt other kids,
muzzles red-stained,
like hyeanas at a kill,
mouths jam-packed
with berry gore.

This glorious summer
glut could teach us that
good things are fleeting
and generally
come with thorns.

But the lesson’s
well beyond our
childish grasp, and so
life will blow us
raspberries instead.

9 Comments:

Blogger Mybananalife said...

wow!!!

Well Done!!!

12:16 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks top banana

12:45 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

That's really good news Appy especially about the cancer chronicles which were the most memorable writings I've read in a long time. Out and about - much better than sitting lonely in a garrret. Good on you girl!

12:17 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks Pi, kind of you to say so.
The whole event will be difficult to plan.

1:23 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Congratulations - all the best with the chapbook - I'd like to know when it is out so I can buy a copy.
This poem is glorious - the images of the raspberries, the mouths of hyenas packed with jam gore - the imagery is just stunning.

1:29 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thank you for the kind words. I'll let you know, bit apprehensive about how it will sell, not the cheeriest of topics, but I want to do it for all the women friends I've lost to this disease, and the poem is true to their experience as well as mine.

1:57 pm  
Blogger blkbutterfly said...

oh wow, things are really going well for you with the exhibit and the book. Congrats!

4:08 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thank you. None of it will make me much, but pleased about the photographs as, pardon the pun, it will get me some local exposure.

7:15 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well done Apprentice - you must be very chuffed! Let us all know when it comes out, won't you?

11:10 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home