Saturday, July 29, 2006

One of the good thing about getting cancer ........

at a relatively young age is that you hope dementia will never become an issue for you, that and maybe that pensions are something you really don't have to worry about. Global warming too, although this bloody heat is I making me revise my opinions on that one.

Yesterday we visited my MIL and took her out to lunch, although what happened later suggests she may have already gone ahead on her own. Last time we were up we had the "Ceremony of the Keys", whereby she turned several heavy mortice locks to let us in, and then locked them all up again from the outside when we took her out. When we all arrived back at the house after a lovely day out she discovered that the keys had gone AWOL somewhere, and the only recourse was to get an emergency locksmith out on a Saturday teatime - not a cheap solution!

So this time I locked up and kept the keys. We had a lovely lunch, saw dolphins swimming just off shore and had a cool visit to a garden centre that had all its sprinklers running.

Took her home, unlocked the door and let her into the house. Also checked the hoover over for her before we left. Then drove 80 miles home in blistering heat, only to get a call saying had I really locked the door when we were out as her purse was missing. I reassured her that yes all the locks had been on, and suggested she check the 8 handbags in her livingroom to see if it was in one of them. Now there's complete silence so either she's found it, or she's forgotten that she "lost" it.

Things are really slipping, and my husband and SIL have hard times ahead. My SIL was just up there with her young son, and because the house is so chaotic they chose to pitch a tent in the garden.

George Bernard Shaw, said, “Use your health, even to the point of wearing it out. That is what it's for. Spend all you have before you die; do not outlive yourself!”

Yo George, I hear you! I intend to keep tearing it up for as long as possible

3 Comments:

Blogger Mother Sharon Damnable said...

My Aunty Cath has just been diagnosed with Vascular Dementia and the NHS are making her sell her house to pay for her nursing home (National Scandal!)

She told me last week she wishes she'd sold her house and gone on a world cruise!

From knowing my Aunt and learning the symptoms of Vascular Dementia I think she has been ill for quite a long time.

My family are not long lived and, as it turns out, seem to get either cancer or dementia!

Ah well, we knew we'd never get out alive ;>)

8:57 am  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I think we all should keep on networking through blogging and keep one step ahead of the NHS etc and equivalents e.g that comment above re wishing she'd known ahead then she'd have sold her house and gone on a world cruise - yeah! We need to keep alert all us 'young oldies'! :)

9:44 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Sorry about your aunt. She's right, and so George, spend it all - health and cash before you're not able too. You end up getting the same level of care anyway. My MIL has always been eccentric, she just seems to be becoming a parody of herself. She won't do any formal tests etc, so we just have to put up with this until things get impossible.

2:50 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home