Monday, August 31, 2009

Where I roam



At the weekend my husband and I walked part of the coastal path south of Pease Bay. This photo is an HDR shot, with a little "cross processing" applied. I've been visiting some other sites too and I have a short poem published today on A Handful of Stones. It was inspired by walking by a barley field and seeing all the wild flowers at the margin. Heartsease is our native form of the pansy, and seeing it always makes me smile.

I also treated myself to Leonard Cohen's Book of Longing, which contains a huge back catalogue of his poems, including Because of a Few Songs, which he has since turned into a song. If more men were to say, "Because of a few songs, wherein I spoke of their mystery, women have been exceptionally kind to my old age" I think we would probably forgive them anything. He is 75 in the next few weeks and his fans are making a massive photo mosaic for him using their own faces. If you want to take part - today is the last day to do so - just click on the link.

And the qarrtsiluni "economy edition" closes today. So thanks to everyone who submitted work to it, I think it is a strong issue. I really enjoyed working with my co-editor Pam Hart and I'm grateful that the experience put us in touch. So lots of thanks go to her too, and to Dave and Beth, who are both wonderful managing editors.
If you get the chance to edit an edition I can highly recommend the experience. Our closing piece and the final image will be posted later today.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

and that's why it always makes you smile - because it eases your heart to see it!

My one thing I'd love to do is meet Leonard Cohen. But that's never going to happen! Ah well, live in hope!

And congrats to both of you on a fine issue of Economy on qartsiluni, I enjoyed the poems coming into my mail box enormously.

1:44 pm  
Blogger Pam said...

Your photograph makes me want to hop on a plane to take in this view in person. I'm glad we had the chance to be editors together. I'm proud of our work and especially pleased to have "met" you.

2:14 am  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

A lovely walk. Nothing like a lovely walk. Thanks for editing this month's qarrtsiluni. I am proud to have been part of it.

9:35 am  
Blogger Pat said...

Great walking country.
If only one could go to the chemist and say half a pound of heartsease p;lease.
I'm going to google it.

9:57 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks all. Pam you would be welcome to hop a plane and come and see me anytime.

Pat I know what you mean about heartsease, it is a beautiful name and idea.

11:30 am  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

I saw Leonard Cohen in concert at Edinburgh Castle - wonderful concert....

I'm glad you enjoyed editing qartsiluni, I seem to have lost touch with what's going on over there...

7:19 pm  
Blogger Regina said...

Hi Anna- I'm visiting here from Rachel's post on your book of poetry. I loved your little "stone"- I commented on it and now here I am, reading Rachel's review and then to you "in person"!
I have that book by Leonard Cohen- love it so much!
I'm off to peruse through your blog now... so nice to meet you!
:)

4:22 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home