Sunday, July 05, 2009

Sunday 5 July


We got to land on the Bass Rock on Friday and it was wonderful to be so close to thousands of gannets and to be able to observe their behaviour. Although the pong, the poo and being dive-bombed by herring gulls wasn't all that pleasant........

Here is a shot of incoming gannets. The boat skipper chummed the water with fish as we approached the rock, and soon the sky was full of birds. My camera does not buffer well in RAW format at speed, so this was taken in JPEG.




I'm looking forward to hosting Rob MacKenzie The Opposite of Cabbage tour later in the month. I've been following his travels when I can and hope I can do justice to the earlier stop offs.

In fact there is so much to look forward to this summer, the Scottish Poetry Library's School of Poets Courtyard Readings, as our contribution the Edinburgh Festival; The Beechgrove Garden TV programme coming to help me with a project in my own garden; and our 30th wedding anniversary - which I feel deserves a telegram from the Queen at the very least! Getting to 100 years old is a scoosh these days, but staying married for 30 years is bloody hard work!

7 Comments:

Blogger savannah said...

what exciting times ahead for all y'all, sugar! very best wishes for you upcoming anniversary, too. we celebrated 40 years in march! xoxo

4:14 pm  
Blogger Rouchswalwe said...

Happy 30th, Anna!
And I've got to tell you - that is a beautiful photo. Great angle - They look like they're going to land right in my lap.

8:36 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

I thought you wrote 'shit of incoming gannets':)
Oh those beaks!
Such a shame wild life are so smelly - the seals in 'Frisco Bay for inst.

You have beaten us - our 30th is in November. Will there be pearls?
And yes - any marriage is bloody hard work at times.

4:12 pm  
Blogger eroswings said...

I came over via a comment left by PI on Savannah's blog. I want to say Congratulations on a long and fruitful union. May you have many more wonderful years together to enjoy life.

7:46 pm  
Blogger femminismo said...

Happy 30th! You're right. It's darn hard work staying married that long. Good for you both - Jeanne in Oregon (found you through Rouchswalwe)

2:20 am  
Blogger Jan said...

Gorgeous gannet picture!
And Happy Anniversary!
May you enjoy 30 more years together!

10:30 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks for the good wishes all. I'm the longest married by a fair stretch in my family. I can't imagine ever doing it again or getting to know another person tis well!

1:16 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home