Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Home








Ooof, that didn’t last long. We got home late on Sunday night and I have been slowly adjusting to the world again.

Harris was wonderful, the beaches, the dunes and the vast skies cut you right down to size, ‘til you feel like ant in summer grass.

I took lots of photos that I’m still working through, though I’ll probably only keep a few as I seem to get pickier and pickier about what works. But there’s one of water plants floating on a lochan that I’m really pleased with.

And I managed to see a red throated diver, a rare bird of the far north, and that was a real thrill, as they are so beautiful.

The late Ken Smith’s selected poems The Poet Reclining, which I borrowed from the Scottish Poetry Library, came with me and his poems seemed to fit the wildness that I was experiencing. I liked many of them – The Stone Poems, In Transit and Fox in October in particular. He was a fantastic poet and I’m really glad to have had the chance to read more of his work.

Here’s a clip of him that I found on youtube








8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, love your photographs, they've such dramatic skies in them. Well I hope you got a bit of a rest while you were there.

11:34 am  
Blogger Rachel Fox said...

Don't discard too many photos! They look great from here...
x

2:16 pm  
Blogger Rouchswalwe said...

Super stuff! The colors are Kodachrome quality (did you hear that this film won't be made anymore?), especially the third one. I even see the boot of Italy in it.

2:48 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

Beautiful photos - I really love the bottom one and what a strange gripping poem.

11:00 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanka all. R yes I did here about the death of Kodachrome , and it felt like a bit of my chilhodd had gone with it. My grandad used it a lot to take photos of the three of us.

Pat yes it is an amazing poem. He travelled widely too, in the States and Eastern Europe and lots of his pieces are about borders, which still resonate now and probably always will.

11:29 am  
Blogger Lucy said...

Wasn't there a Paul Simon song about please don't take my Kodachrome away?

These are gorgeous pictures, the light and colours in the Hebrides must be as good as anywhere in the world, I reckon.

(What happened to the poem about the freakshow? It came up on my feeds but not here, did you pull it? I thought it was really good, one of the best things I'd come across on the subject...)

1:26 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Aw thanks Lucy. I did pull it. I'm kind of sick of the whole business.

The light was mazing, though the 24/7 part of it could drive you mad -I barely slept and felt like I was on a light high.

2:34 pm  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

Wonderful photos from a wonderful part of the world. Well done seeign teh red throated diver....

7:43 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home