Sunday, May 31, 2009

Strip the Willow



I've been running around from Gardening Scotland on Friday, where I saw some amazing show gardens done by friends,got to talk to a few nursery people that I know and bought some plants, which I didn't really need, but were to fabulous to live without and had to be snuck in the back gate and planted before "budgetary control" spotted them, and then to Glasgow yesterday for my SIL's 50th birthday party.

It was a lovely day, the sun blazed and the food and company was great and we had ceilidh dancing with an African drum section. And I met Larry Butler there, he's a friend of Colin Will's, but I didn't know that he's also a friend of my SIL's. Scotland can be a very small pond at times.

This is my SIL birling.

6 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

what's "birling???"

3:01 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Scots word for spinning or twirling

11:02 am  
Blogger Pam said...

much better than 'twirling'...where does it come from--etymologically speaking?

8:49 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

It's a common Scots word "birl"

it comes from a 14th century word Pirl (Pirl,) Pyrl, v.
[Cf. ME. birl to prick, pierce or stab (c 1400), also e.m.E. pirl (c 1500) tr. to twist, curl, (1791) cause to revolve, also (spec., in the mod. Sc. dial.) to manoeuvre by prodding and intr. to curl. Cf. PIRL-PIG, PIRL-SILVER.] intr. To thrust or poke at. ---

9:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, I never knew that. I thought you just birled! I love your SIL's smile as she is birled!

twirl doesn't quite cover the extra whoomph you get from an energetic partner ...

belleek

3:53 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

you're right R, it does have a whoomph doesn't it?

5:12 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home