Saturday, July 26, 2008

Malaise

Well I still can't settle to blogging, or indeed writing much at all. Last summer I felt really energetic, this year I feel like I'm becalmed in the Doldrums.

And it isn't the credit crunch or the price of petrol, though Lord knows that's high enough. No I just feel like stopping and doing nothing much for a while - which is pretty unheard of for me. So I'm pottering in the garden, which is running riot as ever, I don't need secateurs so much as a machete! The grape vine has really gone mad, and I've hacked off an incredible amount of growth to allow light to fall on my tomatoes and salad crops. Keeping the paths clear is also a challenge, and I'm hoeing a few yards each day, just to keep on top of the self-seeded weeds and that bloody astrantia.

My foot is annoying me, as it blows up every time I stand on it for too long, and while it doesn't hurt much it does allows my head to go racing to its own conclusions about what it might be, none of which are very good. So I've steeled myself to getting it checked out next week. It is definitely circulatory, but I'm taking comfort from the fact that both feet aren't affected. N is coaching me in not worrying about it until I know it is actually something to worry about - and the upside I can lie on the couch and watch the Tour de France and some of the mountain stages this week have been absolutely amazing. But I hate not being able to go off on long walks, without fighting to get my boot off at the end!

In terms of the news I'm not sure what I think about the changing political landscape here. I think I'm glad that Labour can no longer count on Scots to be nodding donkeys who will automatically vote for them. As the Glasgow Herald says today the New Labour experiment of saying one thing to Middle England and another north of the border is no longer reconcilable. Labour is in such a pickle here, still in denial about being in opposition in the Scottish Parliament, leaderless, without a clear policy on further devolution and basically skint.

And I think I'm quite proud that the SNP can use up-to-the-minute software to target its message and that it has young people, the election organiser in the East End bi-election was 18, actively out there working for them.

If Scotland is going to move forward as a small nation we need to be able to use every tool in the box and we have to engage and encourage our young people.

I'm no dyed in the wool nationalist, but it's about time that we got more confident about our own abilities and took more responsibility for ourselves and our future.
Time to cast the chip, be it deep fried or otherwise, off our shoulders and get on with deciding what it is we truly want and don't want.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I still think of Scotland as the auld hame in many ways ... so always have a soft spot for its future and am proud it has its own parliament. I bet there's millions of us out here that think the same way.

6:12 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

A change is as good as a rest, they say and you're resting, whilst thinking about change. Fingers crossed for the foot!

11:13 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks. Yes there's a huge diaspora out there. We should do much more to tap into it, way beyond the clan thing.

I watched a good programme on M. S. the other night - seems it is largely a Scots gift to the world. we should do more to concentrate research here.


I'm twitchy about the foot thing as the first chemo I got affects the heart, I had to get a heart function test to see if mine was strong enough to take it, but I know know of two other women living with chronic heart failure due to the effect of it. I had "half a life time's" dose. That's why I try to keep fit and keep my weight down.

12:20 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

Anna listen to your body.
The thought of Sots as nodding donkeys bears no relation to any of the Scots I have known.

6:30 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

Oh God! The 'Sots' was a genuine mistake.

6:31 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home