Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Valentine's Day


I'll be away tomorrow and Friday so thought I'd post my Valentine's Day contribution early.

The first three haiku are by my friend Brenda. When a group of us were doing chemo we used to write haiku based on a set theme. These are Brenda's for Valentine's Day four years ago. She was very ill at the time and sadly didn't recover, but she was a really gifted writer and a very funny and warm person. I like to re-read some of the things she wrote and these are worth sharing I think.

oil changes and smiles
I am the love of his life
and he tells me so

second time around
is much sweeter than the first
nor taken lightly

we will get through this.
not you, but we together
my favorite wife

And this came into my head last night. I like it, thought you might too.....

you are

my tribe, my troupe,
my flock, my herd,
my caste, my group,
my caravan, my marathon
my norm, my mean,
my swarm, my sting
my drum, my dart
my charm, my spell
my country, my world
my town, my harbour
my refuge, my love


the picture is mine and is based on a stamp produced by photographing a love heart in isolation

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful post - I particularly like the second haiku - so very true.

Have a very happy Valentine's Day!

9:56 am  
Blogger S. Kearney said...

Sweet and captivating! :-) I didn't do anything Valentinish this year, so this makes up for it. The recent pics here are also superb.

11:57 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thank you both. Shameless I must get my sidebar sorted out re the writing circle etc. I'm always nervous at doing stuff there cos I usually knock it all out of kilter!

11:50 am  
Blogger Lucy said...

I used to like those love-heart sweets!
Your poem's great (Brenda's too), such a disparate welter of ideas, but all mixing in so well.

6:41 pm  
Blogger blkbutterfly said...

Happy Belated Valentine's Day! Hope you had a great get away.

love your poem! written from my experience, i'm sure. :-)

there's something about Valentine's Day hearts and artwork that gets me everytime.

8:23 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Some lovely pieces there, A. A lovely way to remember your friend like that.
I do like the ownership in your 'my' poem.

8:51 am  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

That's beautiful. I am envious - things like that don't come flying into my head at night! :)

9:20 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

thanks girls -I'd rather sleep, but I've lost the trick of doing it since I've been ill. So things float in and out of head in the wee small hours. I keep a pad by the bed to catch the good one.

1:00 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

Funny how Norm keeps popping up:)

4:30 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home