Thursday, February 07, 2008

Early doors




I've been working outside the last two days. I had a delivery of thirty bags of spent mushroom compost from a local farm and I've been mulching the borders with it and some of my own garden compost.

The hellebores are flowering, as are the winter aconites, and one of the daphnes is about to break. And the temperature is not at all bad, I've been working with just a light fleece on rather than a heavy jacket.

Spring poems always seem so reverential, so as an antidote I wrote this daft poem in my head while I worked.

Early doors

If putting in an early appearance
be sure to do it well. Be bold,
be bright, be yellow! Wear your best,
a pretty, frilly collar will conceal
a stumpy neck. And don’t hang
back in damp, gloomy dells, come right
up to the door - if needs be ring
the bell! Who needs tasteful verse,
penned to delicate snowdrops,
faded violets? Be an acolyte
of the aconite, love a bloom
that’s in your face!

6 Comments:

Blogger Colin Will said...

Nice one. I like it.

5:26 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, I like that! So bright and well, spring-y! :-)

5:54 pm  
Blogger f:lux said...

I like it too!

10:53 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks. I'm lucky to have a patch just outside my dining room window and they just blaze.

1:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a boldness and a brashness to Spring, isn't there? It's as if you're saying - well you're coming out anyway so why not go all out?

"Love a bloom/ that's in your face!"

I like that.

I had to look up aconite though!

11:49 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

Ours are in only their first year, and nothing like so luxuriant.

Love the touch of 'What not to wear with 'a pretty, frilly collar will conceal
a stumpy neck'!

3:58 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home