Thursday, February 21, 2008

Arvon




I was poking around the Arvon site today. I'd love to do one of their residential
poetry courses, but it's probably too late for this year, and you need to submit specimen pieces of work before they will agree to take you on - and that scares me.
But they have some really good poetry workshops in PDF. One includes a poem about a garden escaping - decanting lock, stock and barrel, but for a wisteria hedge.

It got me thinking about that idea and I've drafted this:

Garden Flight

You’ve come back. A nervous fawn
on the edge of a clearing, ready to run
should the wind change and carry my scent
to your nostrils. It’s a tentative show -

crocus, hellebores, a few purple twigs
of daphne, but with a strong suggestion
of what might be. Don’t worry, the lesson’s
been learned, this time I’ll keep my distance.


the photo is of a frosted crocus, taken the day before yesterday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

I did one in Devon. I'm certain if they had room you would have NO problem being accepted. Honestly Anna. You are well up to standard. I did the play writing course and found it rewarding - and tiring.

5:05 pm  
Blogger Colin Will said...

I didn't know you have to submit specimen writing now. I went on a couple back in the 1990's - they were terrific.

9:36 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home