Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Passion

Last night I read at the Poetry School end of year event. It was really good, lots of different styles, ages, subjects and a good audience too. I was pleased with my reading, and got quite a few compliments on it. I did three short poems and interspersed them with a few haiku. I had support from my husband and two aunts by marriage, who are not much older than me as my husband's father's family spans almost two generations.

Katherine and Eileen are always there for me, they travel to see all my things, including my recent photographic win. It's like having two very supportive, wise older sisters - and we're all married to Dickie men, which is another great bond! Last night as we walked away from the library two cherry trees were light up outside Calton church, and we all said how much we'd like to go to Japan and do the blossom trail . The Dickie women on tour, now that would be something!

Today I'm dog sitting B and finishing off a paper for the big garden. I've been number crunching stats on the returned visitor questionnaires and proof reading the whole draft. I've decided to add wee quotes from Gerard throughout the document, just to give it a bit of a lift. I have a good source of them, as the garden archive holds copies of all the original plant labels, which included a Gerard quote on each plant.

Meanwhile my husband's uncle is walking through France. He's already walked the whole of Scotland and England in stages of two to three months. He is now aiming to get through France, all the way to the Pyrenees in the south.
I think that's why I fit in with my in-laws, they are all a little nutty and they get really passionate about things.

9 Comments:

Blogger Colin Will said...

Good luck with the garden paper. I like the idea of the Gerard quotes. It always amazed me reading Gerard how many plants were good "agaynst the byting of serpents". There can't have been that many venomous snakes in England in the 1630's surely?

10:40 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks. I just need to tweak some bits and I should have a good first draft to share with our sub group. It's hard to know what the Lottery are looking for, the example I got from them was for the revamp of an old Victorian Park, so the parallels were pretty slim. Most of the ones I have relate to trees with berries that "hath such a maligne quality"

11:20 pm  
Blogger f:lux said...

Ooh yes, the blossom trail! I'd love to do that too - or just go to Japan, and any time of year will do!

9:42 am  
Blogger Jan said...

How lovely having people like K and E in your family.
My father's siblings spanned generations and I saw the same sort of thing.
As you say, it's a great supportive kind of network.

9:58 am  
Blogger blkbutterfly said...

i like the post title... passion...

anyway, that's nice that you have such a great support system to be there and support you in your endeavors.

across France? oh my... wow...

9:09 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Hi Flux, yes to get there at all would be fabulous. Eileen's son lives in China and is married to a Japanese woman, so it would be doable if we could organise the fares.

Jan and BB thanks, yes it is good to have their support. We lost another aunt to cancer last year so they know what the risks are.

11:03 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Thanks, Apprentice, for your comments on my Blog.
I do hope you're enjoying your Gap Year!
Your Blog is great.

9:17 am  
Blogger Pat said...

Lovely to have two such nice young aunts and how super to have such a walker in the family. I wonder if he will go anywhere near the Languedoc?
My D in L and I were chatting over Easter and regretting the fact that neither of us knew a botanist intimately although I do know a few plants men/women. You are getting loads of experience which will increase your confidence no end.
and oddly she mentioned a yen for Jpan - I thought she had been there - dh's been everywhere else. If one of you young ones organises a trip can i come too?

10:31 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks Jan!

Pat I'd love to take you. I just have to convince "bugetary control" of the need. :)

10:45 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home