Saturday, April 14, 2007

Place your bets



My son was eighteen today, and he got up bright and early to celebrate by going to the bookies. I'm sure that legions of his Presbyterian ancestors as still spinning in the ground as I write this, but he placed an accumulator bet on several soccer results,saying that horse racing was a mugs game. He then bought himself some beer at the supermarket - happily flashing his ID when he was asked his age.

Sadly his bet came off the wheels early doors, but that didn't stop his old mother/mug picking out the winner of the Grand National! I picked Silver Birch because his form looked good on the type of ground they'd be running on today, and because I wrote a poem recently about silver birch as they are my favourite trees.

I got odds of 40-1, and placed the massive sum of one pound each way. So I won forty odd quid plus my original stake back. (sorry something has eaten my pound sterling sign on my keyboard)

I'm well chuffed, though obviously not setting a very good example to my boy - although this is my once a year bet - honest! I learned about horse racing years ago from a boy friend of my sister's - he was racing correspondent for one of the big nationals and used to come to our home town for race meetings.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

Great! Well done you! And a very Happy 18th to your son. Is he out on the ran-dan tonight then?

7:23 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Yup, he's out with his mates for a meal.

They've all known each other since primary school.

9:40 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Congratulations to you and your son!
I watched the National on TV and scared my cats out of the house with my yelling.They're a bit cheesed off what with the Boat Race last week and then football today after the Horses..
Funnily enough, it's THEIR birthday today ( they're 12 yr old tabby sisters) so I think they wanted a peaceful afternoon..

But can we see your poem re Silver Birches please?

10:33 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

happy B to Anna'a son. I chose Silver Birch because I liked the name - at the last minute - and didn't put a bet on.

7:09 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks Jan and Pi. Jan belated birthday wishes to your cats - 12 is a ripe old age. Hope they found a nice place in the sun to nap.

Pi, hard luck -isn't that always the way of things.......

Son is quiet this morning, he had a late night, but was well behaved and went off to bed in good order.

Jan i'll post the poem , but will take it down after a couple of days as I'd like to keep it as part of a portfolio of poems.

12:02 pm  
Blogger f:lux said...

Cor, I'm impressed! Next time you decide to have a flutter on the horses, let me know? I'm rubbish at it.

10:35 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home