Friday, April 06, 2007

Happy Easter


Hope you like the photo, it's of an old china chicken I picked up at auction and some fresh eggs. Weather here continues to be good, and I've spent the day tidying the front garden and ferrying son to various things.

Last week, when I was working in the back garden, I moved some stones that I'd piled up last winter and when I moved one I found a single crocus pressed into the soil below, unable to flower because of the weight that had been placed on it.


I felt a little guilty - and it prompted this short poem.

The garden

Elsewhere massed ranks of crocus,
in Cadbury colours of purple
white and egg yolk,
have already come and gone.

But here in the garden
the stone rolls away to reveal
a single promise of saffron
pressed down in clay.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

I like the Easter image: the rolling away of the stone...
then Cadbury colours,
the vulnerable hidden saffron promise PERHAPS at last able to flower..It's lovely.

1:13 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks, I think it's chance has passed for this year, it ws like a tiny foetus all curled up.

Encouraging as ever Jan, thank you.

1:43 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

Well atleast she had a poem written for her.

9:13 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home