Thursday, October 26, 2006

Well autumn's certainly here!

Gales are blowing around this old house and it feels distinctly cooler. Garden is strewn with windfalls from neighbour's cooking apple tree. I usually end up putting barrowloads of bruised fruit onto the compost heap.

And just when it gets cooler the joiner arrives to say he can now set about replacing four windows at the back of the house. They're old sash and casement windows and I don't want plastic replacement ones as I think they are practical, but horrible. So he's making new wooden ones, and I'm getting a new velux in the kitchen roof, the old one is the original Edwardian fitting and it no longer works, it has the huge old crank to wind it open, and that's seized up. I've also just phoned a guy to get an estimate to sand the diningroom floor. I've got seagrass down in there, but years of dogs and kids has left it looking pretty sad so I thought I'd get the floorboards done and buy a rug.

This probably seems small beer to you, but it's a major step forward for me as I've not really seen the point of doing anything to the house for quite a while now.
Anyway these things will all help to sell it when we decide to move. I really want to be nearer the sea, and maybe back in West. My husband has 5 more years before he can escape the NHS, and we'd both like something smaller on the coast, with maybe a slush fund to go and live abroad for part of the Scottish winter, say January to March. I'd really like to do some road trips, especially across the States. I've this notion of hiring an old Winnebago and just taking off along the backroads of America. I've been to New Orleans and would love to see more of the South, maybe start from South Carolina and head West.

6 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

Funny you should mention windows. My computer is in an east facing bedroom and the other night I heard an ominous dripping sound. The rain had blown in (the windows were closed) and obviously we need a new window. My husband's solution is to put towels on the window sill!!!!
Anyhow I'm glad you are refurbishing - one of the delights in life and your plans for travelling sound very attractive. I've always hankered after a little something in Greece. Deep sigh!

4:44 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Yes Greece would nice, but finding something unspolied is had, though I was in Skiathos a year ago and the south of the island is lovely, it's a nature reserve, so no building.

5:45 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good for you - not 'small beer' at all. When re-decorating gets under way for real, it tends to point up lots of other little jobs that need doing too.

I've often opened one can of worms for it to turn into a whole saga!

Your 'later' plans sound brill (can I hope in the back of the Winnebago with you? Last year I went to San Fran to visit a friend in September. We travelled down the pacific coast as far as Santa Barbara and stopped off in a massive forest park in Big Sur.

Nothing but Winnys and there was us in our wee two man tent under the stars sipping a glass of red wine! Can't beat it! One of the best abroad experiences I ever had. Even with the park at 75% capacity, it still felt massive and quite private compared to camping spots here in Ireland... anyway - it all sounds good A, and very postive! :¬D

10:10 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks Cailleach. You're right I'm sure other things will emerge -I want to redo the bathroom once the new window is in.

I'm sure your tent was more romantic, I'd just have worried about the bears! I'd love to see Ca - ever since reading my Ladybird book of trees I've wanted to see the Giant Redwoods.

10:11 am  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Haha, I'm like Pat's husband, putting towels on the drippy window sill.

Speaking of compost heap, I tell my mum it's okay to put paper in our compost heap, she says no.

Are the bruised apples totally bruised or partially bruised?

6:27 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Very bruised, they fall from a great height, it's a big tree!
I wish they would store, but it's too warm indoors and outside we get field mice in winter.

I freeze some as pulp for crumbles etc.

12:22 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home