Saturday, October 14, 2006

Beautiful Day

I got back to my garden today. It is the perfect weather for working outside, sunny, fresh, and no beasties to bite me.

I moved some things, one a big mallow type plant whose name currently escapes me, but it has a white flower with a green calyx. It grows very tall, so I've moved viable bits to the centre of the big island bed. I also discovered a large yellow flowered corn flower had seedlings germinated and growing within in its seedheads, so I removed them and potted them up in the greenhouse.

Still picking apples and pears. And I saw lots of ladybirds, pretty much the first I've seen all year, they were seven spot ones, looking to hibernate in the peony leaves. I don't cut much back in the autumn, preferring to leave the seedheads etc over the winter for birds and insects.

Got a nice card today from one of the women, Pat, who helped me with the event saying how much she'd enjoyed it and what good feedback she'd been getting round the town. Also David at the bogstandardblog,has kindly put my book on his sidebar refs. Thank you David, you're a star.

Looking forward to November, I'm doing another volunteer gardening trip, this time to Craigievar Castle.
And then we're going to the Borders to stay in this apartment The photographs on the website are all mine. I shot them back in the Spring, I like the way the designer has used the daffs on the mantle shot for the main heading.

I really love this time of year. I pity my friends in NE of America, they already have snow flurries. Thank God we have the Gulf Stream, well at least for now ......

4 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

The apartment looks lovely - wish it were closer. Have been sticking bulbs and wallflowers in today but a grey day here.
BTW if it isn't too lare do please sign book.

8:23 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

When I learnt touch typing i couldn't stop looking and now the letters are worn off my keys - hence the errors!

8:24 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Don't worry I make mistakes too.
I love wallflowers, the scent is so heavy and spicy on a Spring morning.

Not too late, I'll sign it and post it today

10:34 am  
Blogger blkbutterfly said...

oh, the apartment does look really nice.

i absolutely love this time of year as well. when i noticed the leaves were changing colors at my complex, i actually cheered.

for some reason, fall puts me in a better mood than spring.

10:46 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home