Sunday, August 20, 2006

Schools go back tomorrow

Hallelujah!!! I don't really mean it........

I've just written this poem, it's still a bit rough, but I think I know what I'm trying to say.

The Sherpa

“Back to School!”, the chainstore
billboard bellows. This time
he’s goes back for the last time.

In the intervening years,
between the day he
sprinted into infant school

and now, I’ve stayed
sober, stayed sane, stayed
on track, and kept our pact.

Sitting here, sherpa-like,
I survey the final peak, hardly
able to believe I’ve got him

here, brought him this far. And
now, like some staggering groom,
I’m ready to set him down

on this threshold, this high plateau
and turn my gaze towards the
misty vistas that lie below

6 Comments:

Blogger Kay Cooke said...

A real sense of achievement then, and some real, hard yacka (as we say here in the antipodes!)

12:47 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Yes, shoving a pack up a mountain seemed a good analogy

1:33 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

'Ready to set him down'. I thought I was but there were a lot of tears when his bedroom was empty.

2:21 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Oh I'll howl too, but hate the guilt of being torn between things I want to accomplish and looking after everyone.

4:59 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is so true apprentice, about the guilt of setting one's own wishes against what needs must with your offspring. I've often been guilty of it and the kids usually win :¬(

Still, I keep telling myself that the tunnel is beginning to broaden out, and older mums tell me to try and enjoy these days as it just gets more difficult as they get older! Cripes, you can't win!!

5:14 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Yes the teenage years are difficult, you know it's heealthy to be rejected, but you wish you could savethem reinventing the wheel lol :)

9:07 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home