Sunday, November 15, 2009

Poetry Junkie


I went along to Kevin Cadwallender's launch of his pamphlet Dog Latin last week. It has been published by Calder Wood Press, and contains a wonderful selection of pieces. If you want to sample some of Kevin's work see here:



I also met Crafty Green Poet at the gig, which was lovely, as I've enjoyed her blog for some time now.

After that Anne and I scooted up to the School of Poets class at the Scottish Poetry Library, and Kevin jokingly called us a couple of poetry junkies. There are worse things in life to be me thinks..........

On Wednesday I went to fashion show that my friend N's daughter-in-law helped organise, she's a designer and lecturer at Glasgow School of Art. The show reworked charity shop clothes into high fashion and it was really well done, with goody bags and an after show party.

And Friday I saw a Japanese friend and we went to see the Scott and Shackelton photographic exhibition at the Queens Gallery Herbert Ponting shots from the ill-fated Scott expedition are absolutely stunning.

Now I have a bad cold, something I always seem to get when I'm exposed to lots of people, I just don't have any resistance to things any more. So I'm lying low and living on lemsip.

The photo is of some of the gilding on the door of the Queens Gallery - horse chesnut leaves and flowers. Here in my home town they had to chop a massive old one down this week, as it was diseased and had a number of deep wounds on it limbs. Seeing the huge gap it has left behind made me think of this Niedecker poem:

My Friend Tree
by Lorine Niedecker


My friend tree
I sawed you down
but I must attend
an older friend
the sun

7 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Fox said...

Oh yes, the sun. I've always tried to live on the sunny side of the street. Saves on heating bills and so much more.
x

7:45 pm  
Blogger Titus said...

Love the photo.

If you see the sun over your way, could you send it back please?

9:18 pm  
Blogger Pam said...

Given what I've been doing to my tree friends' leaves lately, well, I too have considering saw down a few. Feel better.

3:24 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

We had the sun today and I felt full of enthusiasm for sweeping up some of the thousands of leaves but now the sky is darkening and no leaves have been swept.

3:53 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

Glad you met CGP!

I love those guilded leaves, I'v always thought horse chestnut leaves were a wonderful shape. And that little poem is very apt.

6:26 am  
Blogger Rouchswalwe said...

Hope you've recovered from that cold by the time you read this, Anna! Your words remind me to get a move on and become more involved with poetry events here locally. Poetry has an important place in brewing ... eloquent toasts become possible.

4:40 pm  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

I enjoyed meeting you too! Sorry for not noticing this post before now!

6:15 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home