Sunday, November 29, 2009

Morrissey

I loved Morrissey on Desert Island Discs today. I feel like I've finally grown up when people like him are the subject. Although conversely I like the fact that he is still very much a Peter Pan, who refuses to play in this crazy world of ours.

See his eight records here.

Funny how things come along in twos, like buses, because I've also been watching a documentary film on Warhol, another of my fascinations, and one of Morrissey's choices, Nico see below, also featured there. The documentary also made me think what a great job Sienna Miller did in the film about Edie Sedgwick.





I would love to get to Pittsburg to see the Warhol Museum. He made a box up at the end of each day to hold all the bits and pieces of the day's events, and the museum has them all on a vast rack of shelving. One box is simply marked, "mother died".

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a fascinating programme and although, to be completely honest, I didn't relate to ANY of his tracks, I did warm to the guy himself.

10:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

funny you should write this ... I didn't hear DID yesterday but I did go to the gym and found The Smiths playing on my iPod. I was surprised that the songs were quite beaty enough for me doing my treadmill! I remembered them as dirges!

2:36 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

I wish I'd heard that. He's been collapsing on stage a bit recently. I hope he's OK.
I once had a sweet post card from Roy Plomley. Sadly it got lost in all the moves. Such a gent.

4:01 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I watched a doco on the director Stanley Kubrik on the flight over to Japan, simply titled Stanley Kubrik's Boxes (I think). Sounds a little like he and Warhol had the same sort of filing system ... fascinating stuff.
I've been listening to Morrissey in the car after our son left a tape of the Smiths in our player. I like it a lot.

11:47 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks all. I do love the Smiths.
Kay lovely to hear from you -I hope to see you blogging again soon - how did the writing go in November?

10:37 am  
Blogger swiss said...

i've never been much of a fan of morrissey but interested enough to listen to this and find it engagingly different.

i have a peristent and probably false tho it won't go away!), memory that i met nico in my lost years at the beginning of the eighties. i remember nothing about it beyond a presence and not getting to the gig to see her

my favourite artist of boxes has to be joseph cornell

12:15 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Wow that is quite a memory, false or otherwise. Going by the Warhol set she was a hard person to warm to.

12:58 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home