Saturday, July 25, 2009

My purple bicycle

I had my old beat up bike serviced before my holiday to Harris and I've been using it much more since. It has new tyres and new brakes blocks and all the gears now work.

I gave up using it a few years ago after I managed to go over the handlebars at a busy junction. It was all my own fault, as I was riding home from volunteering at The Big Garden with a small garden fork swinging from my handlebars. You can imagine the rest.

But we are now reunited and I'd forgotten how great it is to get the scent of the flowers in the hedgerows as you pass by. Just now it is the meadowsweet, thanks to all the rain we've been having. And the other evening I also had a fox literally jump over my front wheel and off into the woods, and I've also managed to take a couple of hares completely unawares.

This is an old 1960s song about a white bicycle that I used to love. I think speed and gear probably had different meanings in relation to this tune.

On youtube it is much loved by nostalgic former paper boys.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rouchswalwe said...

My recently rediscovered bicycle isn't purple (wish it were), but it does have that magical effect of bringing one closer to the little critters. I bought a new seat (with springs and padding) and am ever so pleased with the touring!

2:39 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

We used to cycle en famille during the war and my Dad never let me forget I went the wrong way round a roundabout.
Bike carefully;)

10:56 am  
Blogger Colin Will said...

I'm OK on the upright bike, but I haven't been near the racer since my accident. Your post has made me listen again to Pink Floyd - the bicycle song's one of my favourites.

9:02 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

My bike is purple too! Only my eldest girl has commandeered it. I hope to get it back come September. How cool is it, tho to ride around the neighbourhood slowly re-acquainting yourself with the sights that you miss in a blink in the car.

1:52 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

I can understand why you wouldn't want to go back on the racer Colin!

I agree with you all about bikes bringing you closer to things. Mine's a hybrid with mountain bike tyres, so I can go down tracks that an ordinary bike wouldn't survive, that's how I met the fox.

2:53 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home