Friday, November 28, 2008

Paypal

Colin Will has added Paypal to the Calder Wood Press, so if anyone would like a copy of Heart Notes, or indeed any of the other fine pamphlets on the list you can now buy on line.

Yesterday was a very busy day for me. We finally started planting the Cottage Garden in St Mary's Pleasance. Only the new hedge, which is made up of tiny whips of hawthorn, virburnum opulus and holly - but it was great to actually be planting after months of planning. We're using holly to frame all the entrances to the plot, as it will clip well into a solid shape.

The borders are all pegged out and topped with compost and the new paths have been filled with topsoil, that's been levelled and they are just waiting to be turfed.

And Beryl McNaughton, of Macplants, is posting the first planting plans for the path borders through my door today. I will take pictures, but yesterday we worked in blustery rain, which the camera wouldn't have appreciated.

We also pruned an old black mulberry, whose branches were sweeping the ground, and shading out a portion of new hedge. I find people who are not gardeners tend to be too timid when they prune, it's all a bit like getting the hairdresser's junior, your heart sinking as they tentatively play around with your precious tresses.

This tree had had similar treatment, so we set to and stripped out all the old diseased and crossed branches and succeeded in lifting the whole canopy and leaving the tree looking much more like itself.

Today I'm taking it easy, as I've been running around all week.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Jeesh! Everyone is so busy lately, I feel a spot of hard work coming on...

Great news about Calder Wood Press: I hope Heartnotes flies out the door: it deserves to!

12:22 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

Cor! Reading that quite wore me out.
I know what you mean about pruning; since Karen came to help in the garden, some of the bushes and roses are decimated. I'm hoping for great things next year.

4:15 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Taking It Easy: A lovely phrase and I think I'll do just that m'self!

5:15 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

Our neighbours were no-nonsense farmers and when they moved in next door took something like a chainsaw to the old lady's precious shrubs. We winced but though they looked slightly stumpy and mauled, they really did flower better afterwards...

9:34 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks Jan

Lucy most roses respong well to being chainsawed, especially the ground cover types.

I love pollard willows that resprout, the kind you see along the canals in Dutch pictures.

1:55 pm  
Blogger Pam said...

Hmm, did you find my blog through Lucy, then?

St Mary's Pleasance - I think I know that. I must look out for evidence of your work. I love gardening myself, but not so much the exhausting variety...

5:01 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home