Monday, August 18, 2008

Spooky





After me blogging all that stuff about corvids a couple of posts back guess what?

I only ended up reading with Ester Woolfson at the book store that's what! And she read very, very quietly, so I didn't really catch much of it. Perhaps she needs to be a little more raucous, like her pet corvids. Her book is the book of the week on BBC Radio 4's Woman's Hour all this week.

A few folk came up to me after my own reading and actually quoted some lines back to me that they had particularly enjoyed, which confirmed they had at least heard me, and had been listening to what I was saying.

On Friday I took my turn chairing the School of Poets courtyard readings. We had a good mix of folk, although the attendance was lighter than the Monday session, which was probably due to the poetry pamphlet fair being on down at the Book Festival.
We had a lady all the way from Oz who loves Robert Burns and has written some poems about her own life as a tenant farmer. I enjoyed it, in fact I'm enjoying readings almost as much as writing now.

The photo is of a grave attendant sculpture on a 17th century grave in Seton Collegiate Church. Her face has got a bit bashed up over the years, but I liked her ruff, which is more 16th century I think. I had a walk there on Saturday and enjoyed it, the light in the church is beautiful and the grounds were full of butterflies.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

You're well busy on the readings, well done you! It sounds very rewarding.

10:46 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

You are rapidly going up in the world- well done. You have been awarded a ' Sharing the love' thingy. You are not obliged to do anything if you don't want to but you deserve it.xox
PS It's on my side bar at the bottom.

10:48 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thank you both. Yes i'm enjoying reading more and more, even reading the works of ohers is fun.

7:47 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Magic! Well done on the readings, and I really love the photograph of the statue - incredible detail, almost like a sphinx in its contemplative pose!

11:45 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home