Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy New Year dudes!

Sorry I've not posted much lately. I've been a bit like a Conservative MP in that I've been spending more time with my family!

Christmas was fairly simple this year. We both decided we didn't want much so our presents were token and fun.

And our big family lunch in town, with all branches of my husband's family, proved to be quite poignant in that my MIL came along for the first time in about 20 years and she sat down beside my FIL. They are both almost 80 and have been separated for over 10 years, so it was a touching moment.

It proves that even dementia can have an up side, in that all the anger and bitterness seems to have just melted away. But what a shame that we always seem to leave these things until it's too late.

Colin has given me my poems back and I surprised and delighted to find there's not too much needing to be changed, so I'll get down to it next week, when hopefully I will have some much needed peace.

I'm always a bit ambivalent about New Year, it brings out a maudlin streak in many Scots, which is never a pretty sight and I hate all the resolution tosh and the papers being full of all the poor sods who will not see another year. (Am I alone in wondering what my second date will be? It sneaks past every year with no clue of when it will fall.)

The older I get the more New Year feels like an arbitrary line in the sand. It's not that I don't like a party, but I think I'd rather be a pagan and support the winter solstice and our slow return to the light.

But I do wish you all the very best for 2008!!!!

May your worries tiny and your debts small!

Here's Dean to sing for you. Now spin the bottle someone and see whose doing the next turn! I'm off to medicate the dog before the fireworks start and to get a G&T on ice before the bells.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

What a picture you paint re your family meal out!
It's the stuff of an Anne Tyler novbel..!
Happy new year Apprentice.

8:24 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks Jan. I was very specal, and of course I'd left the camera at home!

Grr on spelling errors in this Spellcheck didn't take - though they're corrected now I hope

1:13 pm  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

Happy New Year! - Hope 2008 is good to you :)

5:36 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

Happy New Year Apprentice, howsoever you view it!
They left it pretty late to separate didn't they? It's not the first time I've heard of dementia elminating the rankling streak in people, which is a fairly tepid kind of comfort about getting old...
Keep us up to speed on the poems, and wishing you all good things.

1:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your story of MIL and FIL makes me think of my APs. If dementia hadn't crept up on my Dad, who was mean and moody on occasion, making him charming and docile, my Mum would have had an awful time in their 80s. Funny how things turn out.

belle

6:04 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

The old ones are the best. I've just been listening to Ella who is sublime. I'm ambivalent about the new year too, but I hope you have a great one

12:29 pm  
Blogger S. Kearney said...

A great New Year for you, Apprentice. I hope 2008 swings! :-)

11:11 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home