Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Fragile Thing

I got reminded about Stuart Adamson the other day. I wonder what he'd be writing/singing now. Such a sad loss to Scottish song writing.

And I've been catching up on Scotland's music, and the Jute Mill Song, written by a worker, Mary Brocklebank. Listen to it sung by Sheila Wellington here

My great grandmother worked in a Fife jute mill, she got the telegram to tell her her son had been killed in WW1 while at work at the mill. She couldn't read it, my grandfather, who was home on leave from the war, had to read it for her.

These are two brilliant lines from the song:

Oh dear me, the warld is ill divided
Them that works the hardest are the least provided

they are still a manifesto for the poor the world over.

I think Scotland punches well above its weight in terms of the quality of our song writing.


These are the full lyrics to the Jute Mill Song

Jute Mill Song
(Mary Brooksbank)
Oh dear me, the mill's gannin' fast
The puir wee shifters canna get a rest
Shiftin' bobbins coorse and fine
They fairly mak' ye work for your ten and nine

Oh dear me, I wish the day was done
Rinnin' up and doon the Pass it is nae fun
Shiftin', piecin', spinnin' warp weft and twine
Tae feed and clad my bairnie affen ten and nine

Oh dear me, the warld is ill divided
Them that works the hardest are the least provided

I maun bide contented, dark days or fine
For there's nae much pleasure livin' affen ten and nine

Repeat 1

(as sung by Cilla Fisher & Artie Trezise)


And this is Fragile Thing, a great Big Country/Stuart Adamason song, which features Eddi Reader.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

I love Eddi Reader. And these lyrics on the jute Mill song are wonderful. It's good to be reminded of the stoicism of our ancestors.

I couldn't get the Phil Cunningham thing to play though.

3:23 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Just hit refresh and it should work

4:43 pm  
Blogger S. Kearney said...

I love reading Scottish as she is spoke ... delicious! :-)

6:47 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Scots, with their history of constraints and hardships, know how to put life into words; there is a restraint there and a sadness that pull at the heartstrings. 'Flower of Scotland' does it to me every time.

4:45 am  
Blogger Pat said...

Your poor great-grandma. I can't imagine anything worse.

9:30 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home