Tuesday, December 04, 2007

The Alexander Technique?
















I'm sending off my cheque for my speeding ticket, but I think I may enclose a wee letter saying that I did not knowingly speed and that I'm very, very sorry. That should do the trick and the cheque is sure to come winging its way back uncashed!

Colin Will lent me a great book called Atoms of Delight, a collection of Scottish haiku and short poems, which includes some of his work. I found this section called one word poems, where the title is long and the poem is literally one word. My favourite one of these is by Ian Hamilton Finlay and is about peewits, the Scottish word for lapwings.


The Stones of the Field are the Birds of the Air

peewits




The photo is from my visit to his home, Little Sparta, earlier this year.

6 Comments:

Blogger IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Hi. Just chanced upon your blog(s) and am enjoying taking some time out reading through previous posts. Keep up the poetry writing. Great stuff.

12:52 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love that one word poem. Brilliant. Simplicity in all things is beauty.

Oh and I love that wishful thinking! ;-)

11:25 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love that piece A. Also dipped into Kestrel - I like that a lot. Thanks for the birthday wishes, I had a wonderful time away - loads of catching up to do...

1:56 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

The peewits haiku is a real gem - they are among my favourite birds, as are many of the winter migrants but there's something about their solidity. I hadn't seen them as like stones but once it's shown there's that 'aha!' moment.

11:24 am  
Blogger blkbutterfly said...

ahhh... if only that were the way to ensure speeding ticket checks went un-cashed. ;-)

thanks for stopping by. glad to see things are going well for you. if i don't get by in the next few weeks, happy holidays to you and yours!

5:45 pm  
Blogger S. Kearney said...

Can u send a nice letter to cover my ticket too?

11:25 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home